1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Not sure.. GF1 or GF2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by amanda, Oct 4, 2011.

1. amanda

amanda Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi all..

I'm sorry for asking a possible question that may have been asked many times before. I have done some research and still feel a bit stuck.

I owned a GF1 for a month or so a year ago, but missed my DSLR so I hastily sold it and replaced it with a 60D. I'm keeping the 60D as I like using it.

I now have the funds to own both bodies. I plan on using my old Jupiter8 50mm lens on it and also picking up either the 20mm F1.7 pancake OR the new 25 F1.4 by Leica/Pano. This will be a carry everywhere type of camera for me and I'll try shooting anything and everything with it :biggrin:

I must say I prefer the look of the GF1 and like the idea of the control button on top, its what I'm used too using. But getting a GF1 is getting harder these days and even harder to find one to handle, obviously the GF2 is everywhere and current.

I'm really interested in hearing experiences from people that have owned both bodies. Which do you prefer and why? Is the touch screen clunky to use?

Here's one of my fave shots I took whilst I owned the GF1

4971869961_af3785d997_z.
    Exhibition by mmanda withers, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The GF2 touchscreen is pretty solid to use; no complaints. However, the camera still has enough physical controls that you can work that way as well. The touchscreen gives redundancy and improved control as much as anything else. I'd say go for the GF2 right now from a vendor that's clearing them out cheaply enough, and go have fun shooting.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a GF2 and I found it to be pretty nice. It's not as popular as the GF1 but I think it's a nice camera. As has been stated the touch screen works quite well (and I am not a touch screen fan). It's also got som small improvements to features vs the GF1 and 1080 (HD) video which is a nice plus. The best thing however is that is easy to find and the prices are quite reasonable.

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    try finding a used GF1. the controls are DSLR-like. :biggrin:

5. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Not true. GF1 don't have dedicated switch for metering and autofocus mode. I mean real physical switch not button connected to on screen menu. On both GF1 or GF2 you can select everything quickly and easily, but the main difference against real DSLR is that you don't see main set-up on top plate and you must check LCD or menu.

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    "DSLR-like" - of the 3 GF series models, GF1 has the most external controls, and IMHO the easiest in terms of adaptability from one coming from a DSLR.

:smile:

7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I use a dSLR and a GF1 and I find that the buttons on the GF1 makes for a very easy transition between both cameras. I have had a go with a GF2 but because similarity is very important to me I stuck with the GF1.

8. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Aside from the UI differences (touch screen vs. physical buttons) the GF1 does allow for flash compensation and selecting first or second curtain. If that is important to you, then choose the GF1.
    The GF2 gives you 1080p video and has a stereo mic.
    Personally, I got the GF1 after the GF2 was announced and am extremely happy. Having physical buttons for AF/AE lock, AF/MF, and the drive mode switch were all very desirable to me, as well as the aforementioned flash control. I don't use the flash all that much, but being able to adjust the compensation for fill flash is very useful and since my video usage is minimal, 1080p isn't worth giving up the other features.
    I know the GF2 as a customizable Fn button and a button to select drive mode, but it isn't as handy as the selector on the GF1.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I believe the GF2 is a bit faster to AF but in general it's not all that different for the GF1. It really depends how you plan to use it. I use a G2 for most of my stuff as it has a terrific UI and controls so I understand the appeal of the GF1. I use the GF2 as more of a P&S replacement and as such 1080 video is pretty important because it gets used for things like kids birthdays, family get togethers and such. Because of that the GF2 is really better suited for it's intended use (in my case) than the GF1. But they are both terrific...pick your poison.

FWIW...I have all the buttons and dials I need on the G2 and to be honest I almost never use the drive mode dial and only rarely use the auto/manual focus selector. What I use most is the thumb wheel to select aperture (I shoot mostly in A mode) and to change exposure compensation and the GF2 has the same thumb wheel. My biggest issues with either the GF1 or GF2 is the lack of an EVF and the small grip. Something that is quite handy on the GF2 and you wouldn't think so until you actually use it is using the touch screen to direct focus and fire off the shutter.

10. amanda

amanda Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for all the comments. You guys have given me just the information I was looking for.

Biggest issue I have is price, in Aus they are still pretty expensive compared to the rest of the world. I just saw the Pano Leica 25mm F1.4 online for a whopping $1499! Nearly 3 x the cost of the US :eek: OUCH :frown: I mean I can buy OS and ship the cam and lens over, but I don't think I get a warranty. So I need to be really sure I'm happy with my choice here. Selling due to unhappiness will result in a huge loss of $ for me and if I buy OS and need to repair it. I'll have spent the local cost of one in Aus anyways!

GF2 with 14mm F2.5 is $839 body only is $749AUD