1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Not scientific, but interesting (maybe)...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    When getting my E-M1, the other camera under consideration was a Sony A77. When they went on sale, I thought I'd try them side-by-side. This is not scientific, but how I use a camera... pick it up, shoot. Often, but not always, on "P", auto WB, and generally ISO400 for snapshots in less than perfect lighting. The A77 showed up today, so I did just that... charged the battery and took two snaps of my messy desk in relatively low light. Of course, the 2.8 showed itself immediately, but this IS the kit lens I'd use, just as the 14-42R is on my E-M1. This is more, if I see a photo and grab a camera for a quick pic, what can I expect? So don't fault the process too much, I'm not a lab, just a user. Yes, I could have made a night-long project of it, but that's just not me, or how I shoot. This is not color corrected, it is straight out of the camera, only cropped to make images similar.

E-M1vsA77.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The Olympus shot would have looked better if you turned "Keep Warm Color" off in the Gears G, Color/WB menu.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Sure would have, but I specifically didn't want to tweak.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm not sure it's tweaking to turn off Olympus's tweaking. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That's funny... Good point!

6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Sony shot looks rather underexposed to me.
    You cant fault the IBIS on the Oly!

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I live at the beach, and will take both with me today to try to get something in good outdoor lighting. I still want to compare them using the kit lenses, but the 16-50/2.8 is almost $800 vs. the $300 (MSRP) 14-42IIR.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Other than the overly warm color on the E-M5, I'd wager the metering settings on the two cameras are quite different. I will say that my E-M5 with 'standard' metering settings tends to meter things quite 'brightly', sort of automatic exposure to the right. It doesn't always do the best job of capturing the feel/lighting of a place because of this, but that's what exposure compensation is for...

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    So from this we can see the first picture is better, but maybe only because the A77 metered too darkly.
    Since getting one of the new-sensor cameras I've found I can let it auto ISO up to a lot more than 400 for dim situations, provided NoiseFilter is OFF ... very much the opposite with my older sensor like the e-pL2 wot you have sitting there.
    So when you switch to ISO400 for less than bright times I'd switch to Auto-ISO instead.
    What do the cameras do with Auto-ISO instead ... and did you check which metering mode the A77 was in?

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    All I can conclude from these two shots is:

- The Oly metered for a greater exposure
    - The DOF on the Sony is shallower
    - The OP has a lot of beermats
    - The Oly IBIS did a reasonable job for a 1/2s exposure.

The images otherwise are way too small to conclude much else.

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'll give that the OM-D E-M1 sensor is on par with the APS-C in the Sony, that's for another place to discuss. This wasn't a serious attempt to prove anything other than pointing different cameras at the same general subject and getting quite different results. The Sony and the Oly were on their matrix metering setting (sorry, I'm an old Nikon guy, we call it matrix metering...). Actually the Sony shot looks dead-on to what the room looked like. In the couple of days playing with it, I'd say that the Sony meter is seeing how I see, the Oly is seeing more. Basic settings are same, still digging into Sony manual though...

I DO love these EVFs that show my adjustments as I make them. The EVF on the Oly renders better than the Sony, which looks too contrasty.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I want to point out that i have learned from this thread that Mr Shred has (at least) an EM1 and an A77 and lives at the beach in Florida. I hope he at least has the good grace to have a lousy car.:wink:

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Just shipped off the Sony, the OM-D just works better to me. Buttons, menus, EVF, everything just flows better in use. Took our boys to the beach this morning and got this with the E-M1 and 40-150R.

SRH10065sm.

Oh, and a Lexus CT200h and an Audi Q5. Most people hate the CT200h, but I drive a lot during the week and a real 42mpg really saves gas money for other things.

• Like Like x 1