1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Not quite what I wanted

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Tecpatl4, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    I found this streak of sunlight on the forest floor, but it didn't turn out as good as I would have hoped.
    sunlight.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It would be very nice in B&W.
    Beings that it's not what you wanted, change your way of thinking...
    It's worth a shot...
    Don

3. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

When I see something like this, that catches my eye, I snap away like a madman. Constantly moving around getting different angles, moving closer, and farther away. All the while changing aperture, shutter speed ISO, and WB settings. Sometimes I get a keeper, sometimes I don't.

4. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Meter off the darker leaves, and use the exposure lock to hold it.

5. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

But, I do like this shot. I'm a sucker for sunlight on leaves...

6. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Is it just me, but exposure lock doesn't work when you're in Manual mode

7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Johnny,
    Seems like your having a good time making photos.
    Now now, this hear beez a serious photography forum.
    We doin' need no fun 'round here....

I do the same thing with lace curtains and sunlight....
    Don't tell anyone tho' I got a rep to keep up....
    I really think the image in discussion would sing in B&W.
    Don

8. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You have "image editing OK" so I played with this a bit. Of course, you could do more with the original file. I probably made the shadows too dark, though. I cropped to 16:9 because there were some high distractions in the lower right and across the top.

Tried a B&W conversion to.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Oh my....I'm jumping' out of my seat....
    But I'll wait to see how everyone responds to the crop....
    I'm breathing but it ain't easy....

• Like Like x 1
  10. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    It works, that means you don't need the button, but have you still have to meter and then recompose.

The photo's is IMHO not bad, but real good pictures typically need two things to get deeper appreciation.

Thinking out-side of the box to make it a great photo:
    - Put a rabbit in (border of) the light!!!
    - Or you daughters pink backpack (you never bring that when you go out on your own???)

Either way, I think you did good by noticing this oppertunity and also the shot itself is technically executed pretty well (I like the dark tone and general composition would be good if you add that one thing)

11. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not sure what the OP wanted, but if you meter off the darker leaves, it'll push the shadows to middle gray, and blow out the bright areas. Do you mean meter off the bright leaves??

• Like Like x 1
  12. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    The black and white looks good too, but personally I actually don't see a need to throw away those nice brown and yellow forest colors at all...

Cropping is good move, but to my taste a little too much. I prefer to keep the horizon (trees coming out of the ground) in as a more obvious part of the photo (maybe also "vanished" due to increased darkness).
    On top of that I typically don't like 16:9 that much (warning: this is just my personal taste) , in some way it becomes more spread / less dense. In some way it can be good for (relaxing) movies or (analytic) panorama photo's, but not often for one impression piece of photographic art.

13. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    JoepLX3: How about square crop? Though not with color.

Tecpatl4, I'm bored in my hotel room, so I'm playing with YOUR picture. I'm sorry about that, and will be happy to delete the posts. This will be my last edit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    How does this work? I adjusted the exposures of the original image by -2, -1, +1 and +2 EVs, creating a total of five images, then "fused" them using Photomatix Pro. I added the second image, which is a crop of the original with some additional processing to brighten the sunlight and darken the shadows.

Attached Files:

15. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Both are nice (select preference depending what mood you want to show you have captured)

16. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    The view looks like standing still while walking the dog. It means that a normal height of the camera provide us with a look to many leafs in good light with good contrast. But not more.
    Change the position of the camera drastically. Get on your knees (if possible) and search one prominent leaf out of the uncounted mass. Take one near the middle and focus it with a medium aperture.

You get a nice bokeh in the foreground with the dark area and in the background much lighter. By this view you crack the yellow surface into more individuals, that might work good for viewers and doesn't remind them to collect their leaves in the garden asap......:rolleyes: 

In short: change your position when the content of the situation is 'normal'.

17. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Good advice!!!
    - I went down (focussing on smilling guy in the middle) to make this one more interesting (I could/should have gone lower...):

attachment.php?attachmentid=2293&thumb=1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PS: It was pretty funny because I had to challenge / tease them to come close enough for me to get this picture with my UWA lens, their "sharp" weapon was kind of touching me and of course the audience was applauding.

Sorry for being slightly out of scope, I thought is was kind of relevant...

18. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I think Silverbullet and Walt are both on the right track.

Re-shoot the scene from different angles when you get a chance. Look for other sunlit patches in the woods

And in the interim think about what you saw that attracted you to take the shot. Can you do some more post-processing to recover what sparked in your minds eye when you were looking at the scene?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Personally, I would have gone the other way with it. I would have cropped up. Have the ray of light start in the bottom left of the image. Being so small, I couldn't do much with the image, but I think it would be more dramatic if the trunks of the background trees were slightly darker while the leaves in the background came through a little more. The problem is, the ray of light is almost blown out as is. Something like this.

Attached Files:

20. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    IMO last one is best so far

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.