Not quite ready to share, but...

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by isabel95, Oct 14, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I just got a GH2 and have been learning the video settings.

Working in manual at 1/50 of a second and have wind cut at the maximum because it's a windy day.

Using the Olympus 14-42mm II lens.

There's a significant audible hiss. Is that from the lens...continuous focus???

2. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Most likely.

You should consider using an Panasonic Lens for the OIS.
  3. isabel95

Most like - one or both?

I will try with the 45 to 200 although it is lacking on the wide end - so far that and the 20mm Panasonic are the only Panasonic lenses I have.

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Actually, it's very unlikely that the Oly zoom is making a hissing noise. In my experience it is virtually silent - especially compared to the Panny 20! Ambient wind noise is very hard to eliminate. Have your tried the zoom indoors? Still have the hiss? How about when set on MF? I'd do these tests before going to the time and expense of a different lens.

Hope these thoughts are helpful...
  5. isabel95

Need to spend more time experimenting

I appreciate your input and after my outing today to a fish hatchery with the GH2 and Panasonic 45-200 I am appreciating my E-PL1 more! (I got the GH2 for better luck with focusing and better video). I was very disappointed with how many of my pictures missed focus, although I thought I locked focus on the ones that missed. I am not a beginner with digital cameras and have lots of experience with different models.

Perhaps the use of an external mike will yield less hiss, but I really want to avoid that so I can go "light".

You can hear the noise I'm talking about here:
    [ame=]First Attempt at GH2 Video in Intelligent Auto Mode on Vimeo[/ame]

Pisgah National Forest Fish Hatchery Photo Gallery by Isabel Cutler at
    Olympus E-PL1 Photo Gallery by Isabel Cutler at

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sounds like wind in the trees... anyway... the internal mic probably has AGC.. automatic gain control... which turns up the sensitivity when its quiet and turns it down when there is noise

the audio you hear when you watch a TV programme or a movie is not recorded by a wee microphone buried in a camera

7. isabel95

I know I would do much better with an external mike...

Saw a video on either Vimeo or YouTube where they demonstrated the GH2 with several different brands of external mikes - of course the megabuck Sennheiser sounded the best.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    shooting good video is several levels of complication above shooting good photographs

story, audio, editing are all big skills to get under your belt

the rode videomic has a good rep

9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

10. isabel95

All I had to do was look at that first photo in your link...

It's not the easiest thing in the world, but I do like to make small clips to capture important events - not great big epics.

If I'm going to ask someone to spend his valuable time looking at my photos or videos I want to make sure that they are the absolute best quality I can produce.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Did your dog actually nod when you asked a question? Cool!

Regarding the hiss, the only real effective way to minimize wind noise is with a dead cat. Like one of these:

Source: The Event Videographer's Resource

Regarding AF, the GH2 has a face tracking mode. Works pretty well with humans. Haven't tried it on dogs.

@nueces snapper, thank for the LL link. I'm on that path right now, and it's fascinating, daunting, and denting the credit card.
  12. isabel95

About that dead cat....

Saw a video on youtube comparing the use of one on both Sennheiser and Rode microphones and it didn't seem to help at all.

See the results here, about halfway through the clip:
    [ame=]RØDE VideoMic Pro vs. Sennheiser MKE 400 - Indoors & Out! - YouTube[/ame]

13. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran dog does not nod his head when asked a question!

....but I can get him to look at me if I say the magic words: "Do you want a liver goodie?" or "Do you want some chicken". Very food motivated.

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It was really windy in those shots. Much windier than your porch. If those dead cats weren't on those mics you would not have been able to hear her speak.