Not possible to add focus peaking to GH3?!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Promit, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    From a recent interview with Panasonic:
    I have a huge problem with this, if true. For my video work, I'm currently using Sony SLTs and occasionally a NEX (sold a GH2 used previously). They have a reasonably decent codec, good body/digital stabilization, 1080p/60, and focus peaking. What they don't have is the bitrate, the insane GH sharpness, the moire resistance, or the unlimited record times. This has been a reasonable trade-off for me so far, but I had hoped that it was a temporary situation and eventually I would move back to the GH.

Without focus peaking, I won't. LCDs are not high enough resolution to hit focus precisely, and viewfinders are far too limiting in terms of angles and maneuverability. Magnification isn't available during video recording. I've found that the peaking functionality on the Sony cameras is enormously helpful in hitting focus accurately, particularly since depth of field is deep enough in video that the approximate nature of peaking doesn't hurt. Focus pulls are suddenly very easy to do in a crisp way without hunting. It's important enough that I'm not willing to go back to a video camera that doesn't focus peak...
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Kinda sucks, especially when Panasonic's forte is video. I wonder what the issue is? Sony and Ricoh both do it, I wonder why Panasonic is unable or unwilling to implement it?
  3. RK777

RK777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Focus peaking is not available through third party ROM's? Last I saw it was being worked on so I would think it is around the corner if not already available.
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    That stinks.

I had kinda hoped it would be available on the GH3 when it was rumored to be included, but suspected that'd turn out to be wishful thinking - which it was. I wasn't exactly holding my breath but it's a shame to see a definite "no" from Panasonic.

I can't say as I'm surprised they aren't planning on implementing it. Panasonic (and for that matter Olympus) have been surprisingly resistant to adding this feature, despite how many people have raved about it on other systems and pleaded for it on m4/3. I've used it a bit on the Sony RX1 where it's inexplicably limited to peaking mode only when magnification is *also* on (what??) and liked it ok. It's a nice feature and I would certainly welcome it in a GH3 firmware update.
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    You can always get an external LCD with peaking built in. The 7in Lilliputs have it.
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was hoping they would have included it too! Panasonic does have focus peaking on their AF100 m4/3 pro video camcorder. I so wish they would make a consumer level m4/3 camcorder.

Personally I think all m4/3 cameras should have this feature. There are just too many of us using adapted lenses for both photography and video. Come on Panasonic/Olympus get with it!!!
  7. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't see this as a definite "no". In fact, I think they will at some point offer it via firmware.

Have a look at this:

GH3 Focus Peaking