Not just 1, but 3 Sony FF E-Mount cameras coming.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by lenshoarder, Sep 5, 2013.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Everyone, everywhere, now has to halt all camera purchase plans until the end of the year. There are simply too many great products being announced. Good stuff. :wink:

3. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I am waiting for the Sony IBIS announcements, and am sitting on an E-P2 until then.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll believe it when I see it. Sony seems to be throwing pasta to the ceiling and seeing what's sticking.

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I'll shoot film and my A77 until the dust settles.

6. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    Looks like great stuff, but I chose M4/3 because I found the lenses on the NEX rather big.
    Such a small camera, and the kit lens already that big....so I wonder what size the lenses on a FF will be.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Look at it like this:

In the big picture of things, everything that Sony is doing is basically logical. "We" collectively have boasted that "mirrorless
    is the future!" or "DSLRs are dead!". Well in the DSLR world, Sony was running arguably a distant 3rd while competing with
    Pentax.

So if "we" continue to say that "DSLRs are dead", then it makes perfect sense for Sony (who's running a distant 3rd behind Canon & Nikon) to beat everyone to the punch with a mirrorless full frame camera. :smile:

Like it or not, the RX1 was a success & Sony is now poised to lead the camera market by creating their own niche with zero competition - and that niche is a full frame mirrorless system. :smile:

Time & History will dictate Sony's level of success here.

8. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    And at the end of the year, Olympus will announce something new is coming in the Spring and we will hold off once more. And in the Spring, Panasonic will announce that something good is coming in the Summer and.... we'll wait again. :wink:

I am kidding just a bit, but if someone is planning to change systems/upgrade cameras in the next quarter and this ticks all the right boxes, then it's worth the wait. Otherwise, I'll let early adopters pay for Sony's R&D and I'll pick up the pieces of this spectacular technology several months later. :biggrin:

9. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    more Sony FF for me...

come to momma.....

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, there's no reason why an EVIL camera can't be FF. As caspert says though, it'll be bigger than u43 in size. Time will tell whether the extra IQ is worth it for the average tog's needs.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Of course it will be bigger since there is a relationship to sensor size. This is why the Nikon 1 & Pentax Q systems are smaller than the Micro Four Thirds
    system.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's exactly my point. Seems to me that u43 is a good compromise of IQ vs camera/lens size. Will a larger FF mirrorless camera & lens system deliver sufficiently improved IQ (for the average enthusiast) to warrant its larger size (& probably price)?

OTOH it seems all the growth these days is in FF DSLRs, so maybe it's us in the u43 camp who'll eventually have to admit defeat.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The issue is that once some of "us" admit that mirrorless is not 100% about size only, then acceptance of other mirrorless system sensor formats (Full Frame, APS-C. 1-inch, etc) because easy. Again, look at the popularity of the RX1 and the Fuji system :smile:

14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I've been keeping an eye on this for a while...really hoping Sony kicks another goal here just like they did with the RX. Every time I shoot that camera I find it astonishing that they fit so much sensor into a body as small as the EM5 and attached to it an optically stunning Carl Zeiss FF 35mm/f2 that isn't hugely larger than the Oly17mm/1.8....these Sony guys are good, damn good.

If one of these new Sony FF mirrorless cameras comes in a tidy little package like a Nex7 I'll probably jump in, especially if the Carl Zeiss 50mm/1.8 and CZ 85mm/1.4 are 2 of the rumored 4 new lenses to be announced soon as well. Accompany that to my Ricoh GR (28mm ff eqv) and my m43 zooms (9-18 & 35-100) and that'll be a sick kit.

I think a compact mirrorless FF nifty fifty would sell like hot cakes.

M43 is an amazing system, but some of the options out there are amazing too and only getting better.

15. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I've always thought someone way up in Sony is a classic camera buff. A FF e-mount would be able to mount any legacy mount SLR and RF lens out there.

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm looking forward to an RX1 type camera (FF) with interchangeable lenses. Include a built-in EVF (imagine a Sony FF RX.. camera, similar to the GX7 in features and design) and that would really get my attention (and likely my money). Obviously, the larger sensor will necessitate larger lenses, but I'm hoping that Sony may be able to develop lenses that are sized for a FF sensor, but are as compact as possible. We shall see. I'm also hopeful that Canon will become very active in the mirrorless, compact, FF market, someday.

I love the m4/3 system, but will happily add or move to another system if the benefits are there.

17. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    I switched to m43 only recently and I'm a big fan of Sony gear (my A200 was one of their first DSLRs). If I could afford RX1, I'd buy one.
    So, I really hope they do come up with a score on this effort and I hope that it's reasonably priced relative to m43 and Fuji systems. That would really shake things up.

18. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Yeah built in EVF would be brilliant and they'd take my money as well...especially if the hot gossip is true that atleast 1 of these new cameras will have Oly 5
    axis IBiS !! ....I'd buy in just for the 50mm and 85mm fast CZ primes.

19. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I think it will be more expensive than the Fuji X system....hopefully not by TOO much.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Typical Sony releasing more cameras than lenses!

Rather like Joe I am interested in this cam with a couple of primes and then sticking with M43 for my zooms - 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100.

Mind you I will probably let the dust settle on this new system for a year or two before jumping in. I suspect it is unlikely that Sony will get this right first time.