Not entirely happy with the 12-32

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by manypix, Apr 7, 2016.

1. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi folks,

I have a Panasonic 12-32 that I've been occasionally using with my E-M5.

The good: It's amazingly tiny and light, it has good resolution, it focuses quickly and has good color reproduction, and the distortion isn't too bad.

My issue with it: I like to use wide apertures to achieve low DOF and get the feeling of depth via OOF. The biggest problem I have is related to low DOF, specifically with focus. I find that the E-M5 AF system frequently focuses on a different subject than I want. With all of my other lenses, I fix this issue by using MF to tune focus. But this lens has no focus ring, so I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any clever ideas of what I can do, other than shelving this otherwise fine lens?

-manypix

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Touch focus ?

3. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I think you have two problems.

Number 1, this isn't a fast lens nor is it long. Because of this you will have a hard time getting low DOF. This lens is best stopped down for sharp photos front to back. I think you're using it for the wrong purpose.
    The number 2 problem is that you are having difficulty focusing on what you want. That is a quirk of the camera and getting to know it, not the lens. So you cannot manually focus with it, the camera has a touch screen to help you out.

I think it's a case of the wrong lens for the wrong type of shooting, so maybe try the 25 1.8 or 45 1.8 ? you will get better background blur with these for sure.

4. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    How do you have the AF set up, are you using the small points?

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The focus problem can be solved by switching to Single AF and choosing the appropriate focus point. I'm not sure about the E-M5's ability to choose via touch screen, but it allows you to move the focus point with the D-pad if you set it up that way (caveat: I'm working from an E-M10 menu here, but it should be more or less consistent):
    • If you haven't yet done so, activate the "expert" (i.e. full) menu (the cog wheels) in the Settings (spanner) menu.
    • You'll find the relevant settings in the "A" (AF/MF) and "B" (Button/Dial) tabs
    • In the "A" menu, go to "AF Mode" and choose "S-AF+MF" - you can change that later, but it's the best ground base for test driving your setup.
    • Still in "A", go to "[...] Set Home" and choose "[.]" (or, for even more precision, but slower action "[.]s" - I'm not sure if the E-M5 provides that setting). Now you're able to choose the AF point.
    • In the "B" menu, go to "Button Function", then set the D-pad (four arrows) to "[...]" for the purpose of the test; you can always reset it to whatever you like later (e.g. you can customise one of the arrow keys to call the focus point selector - I think that's even one of the presets).
    This way, your D-pad works as a focus point selector; you've got 49 points to choose from. It pays to set up another button as "[...] Home" - but of course, that depends on your preferences ...

M.