Not enough Prime?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Mike Wingate, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I am a zoom man. I frame the shot. They are slow. I see the need for a fast prime. My Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro is really used for macro. I was getting slow shutter speeds using it handheld yesterday. For me it is a great lens on a tripod. It has a specific purpose for me. At my daughters wedding my P14-140 was a little slow indoors, compared to the wedding photographers BIG glass. I see the need for fast primes in certain circumstances and have bought the PL15mm. Gosh, that is fast. So what would a P42.5mm f1.7, do for me what the Ol60 does not do? Then I get a P25mm f1.7 to make it a trio.

2. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Why not? A good copy of any of the primes you're looking at would be hard to pass up. Back when I was prime shopping, I opted for a similar set - the P14 f/2.5, PL25 f/1.4, and O45 f/1.8. (I also have the O60.) The PL25 was the only 25mm choice at the time. I like what it can do, but have a hard time with it indoors. Haven't figured out why yet. Now, I also have a P20 f/1.7: despite a slower AF mechanism, it is giving me better and more consistent sharpness indoors. It's so small, too. I generally prefer the 25mm focal length, though.

Obviously, the P42.5 has a much wider aperture than the O60, and so will perform better in low light. It has very good close focusing, too. Indoors, I find that focal length much better than 60mm and even a bit better than 45mm. The main downside, IMO, is purple fringing at f/1.7 - which the O45 also has. Correctable, but know that it can be severe.

3. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Faster lenses do only two things:

-- Allow faster shutter speeds or lower ISO

-- Allow shallower DOF

For exposure comparing f1.7 to f5.6 (as on a kit zoom) is a huge deal, over 3 stops...ISO 200 instead of ISO 2000 or 1/80 instead of 1/8. But f1.7 to f2.8 is neglible to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    The problem with primes is the lens swapping. That's why for most events now I use the P12-35 f2.8 and OCF. When I need a bit more reach for an extended period I'll swap for the O60. This setup isn't as fast as all primes but way more versatile in a fast moving event. If going the prime route you might want to get a second body to make things more convenient.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I got FF and a zoom for indoor events just so I can crank the ISO and still have a zoom. Most of the rest is handled by m43.

If you are going to stay with m43 for indoor events, then a 25 and/or 45 is a wise choice. Maybe pick up a cheap second body. If you got like an EPM2 for $100, you could put a 25 on that one, and a 45 on your other body. When shooting indoors, LCD-only shooting isn't that big of a deal.

edit -- I never have tried the 35-100/2.8, so as per the other posters, that might be one worth trying. But I've had to crank up to 20,000 ISO on my a7 at f/4 to get the shutter speeds I need, so that would still be 10,000 ISO on m43, which for me is a little high. I prefer to top out at 3200 on m43, but YMMV, and if your subjects are more still (I do plays and indoor sports) then you might be OK with lower ISO and shutter speeds.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I agree with CyVan, I hate changing lenses every few shots, my usual kit is just my G80 and 12-35 f2,8 and 35-100 f2.8. For a wedding I shot recently I borrowed a second body. I find f2.8 plenty fast and sharp enough for most situations. and when not I have a Metz 44af I can use.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I also am a variable focal length shooter. While I do use fixed focal length lenses for portraits or product shots under controlled conditions I hate switching lenses when out in the field. In addition, the restrictions imposed in the field by a fixed focal length lens are more constricting to my abilities to capture the moment in the manner I envision the scene than worrying about shooting in dark environments. But then I live in the Valley of the Sun so most of my shooting is done under bright lighting conditions. Here is a report I did titled "The Experiment" as a confirmed zoom shooter taking a trip with a fixed focal length lens.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. BleedingGumsMurphy

BleedingGumsMurphy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    I swapped an O45 for Sigma 60 and the extra length kind of makes up for the aperture diffence in terms if DOF. Therefore I am not missing the 45 much (although I didnt use for lowlight), so perhaps you should consider the Sigma 30mm f1.4 as a fresh focal length and maximum aperture for best value? 15 - 30 - 60 for your primes seems logical me. The 25 1.7 may be a bit "rough", especially with you getting the 15PL so recently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MillsArt

MillsArt Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I'd worry about finding the tools that met YOUR typical shooting needs, and that you enjoy using. Buying a bunch of gear that is likely to sit on the shelf, just because it might be the best tool for certain situations your unlikely to come across frequently (unless you've got several more daughters getting married soon) seems silly

I live in Florida and don't currently own a nice mountain bike. I have a road bike I do enjoy riding though... I certainly see some cool full suspension downhill mt. bikes in the shots, and think "I'd like that" but then it hits me that I live in a flat state and what would I do with a mountain bike...

Now if I moved back to the mountains of North Carolina, it would make total sense, BUT, until I actually do that, I don't see the point in buying one

Seems to me that if your gear works for what you typically do, there is no need to sink money into something your unlikely to use, no matter how good it is.

Otherwise you end up just taking boring snaps of everything objects with fast glass wide open, simply because you spent a lot of money on fast glass lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Agree, buts it's a balance because sometimes new gear will get you trying something new. My old hybrid bike is getting hard to find new parts. I bought a new bike closer to a road bike. So much faster that I'm going to sign up for local group rides, which I've never done before.

So the question here might be, like you said, do you see more event shooting coming up or do you want to try some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    The first thing to do, is to up the ISO when shooting with the P14-140. If that works, that is it. If not....I bought the P14-140 to stop lens swapping. I shall see how I get on. Off to the Lake District, then to China before buying anymore lenses. Only one more daughter to get married, and I am not looking to change my style of photography. I hope I can manage with what lenses I already have.

12. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Good call, I use my 14-140 for general walkaround during the day if I don't need critical sharpness for an paid event etc. If I need subject isolation I just recompose @140mm rather than pull for a prime or the f2.8. Once it starts to get dark I switch to the 12-35 however.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    The 42.5 f/1.7 is my favorite lens. I'm also a zoom guy, but that lens is special for me. I only use the 25 1.7 because i force myself to, it is IMHO not in the same league as the longer lens. I dont have the O60, but i do have a legacy cine lens in 63mm f/2.7 and prefer the 42.5 fov and speed. I rarely post photos from that lens in this forum, since i use it mostly for family photos, but my shuffled computer background has a disproportionate number of photos at 42.5mm.