Not enough PEN ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kujo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. kujo

kujo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011
    Ok, well debated M4s and NEX and went PEN.

I grabbed an E-PM1 for size reasons.

Now I'm not sure it's 'enough' camera for me.

Anyone else have this regret ?

Image quality is nice, but too many "menu" hits to change things, etc......

Grrrrrrr but not sure the E-P3 is worth 2x the money.

rant over.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think you see now why the E-P3 is worth twice the money. ;)
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    That's a personal thing. I have the E-PM1 and have no problem with its menu system. But, on the other hand, it's not my only micro four-thirds camera. For me, the E-PM1 takes the place of premium compact cameras like the Panasonic LX3.

But if you're just not satisfied, give the E-PL3 a try. It's basically the same camera as the E-PM1 with key external controls added and a tiltable LCD screen. Yes, the screen makes the E-PL3 just a bit thicker but - trust me on this - the difference isn't enough to make a practical difference. Plus, the E-PL3's $699 pricetag splits the difference between the E-PM1 and the E-P3.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If you like the size of the E-PM1 then I'd think the E-PL3 is probably a better bet in that it is about the same dimensions but has more controls. I guess the biggest question is what do you expect of the camera? I mean seeing as your a camera operator for television I'd guess ALL of the m43 cameras (even all strapped together and placed in a box) would be small by comparison. What did you want the camera to do that its not doing?

I have never liked diving into the menus but I find that I needed to step up to a Panasonic GH1/GH2/G2 kind of camera to get what I was looking for It's a lot bigger than the smaller PEN style cameras but it's got all the dials and controls I wanted so very little menu diving. If you want a PEN style camera then the E-PL3 is the next step and gives you a decent amount of controls on the body as far as I can tell. If you want to save some money an E-PL2 is a great camera as well and can be found for less (I believe there is a really nice used one on these forums right now).
  5. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Does the pm have the super control panel? I hated the menus on my pl2 until I found that baby. Now I'm a fan, even though I still have no idea how to access some of those features without the scp...
  6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, E-PM1 does have SCP.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Super Control Panel was one of the best things about Olympus E-System DSLRs. I was so glad to see it brought back to the PEN series.
  8. kujo

kujo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011
    It's not what it doesn't do, just how it's achieved I guess.

It's not that I'd expect it to be my D700 or the Arri Alexa we shoot Angels with.

Just have to get used to the 'route' to my destination with the new camera.

I do everything in Manual mode as I'm 'Old School' as they say and changing shutter/aperture is a bit tedious is all and I guess I'd probably prefer a MODE dial vs menu too.

no worries, great photos and I can keep it in my back pack at work so......
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Sounds like the E-PL3 has everything you want.
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You use a D700 and an Arri Alexa, and you didn't realize that buying a camera with this many physical buttons on it would be annoying?

You should have done your research. The "M" in E-PM1 stands for "micro." If you want controls, but you want to keep a low budget, you should get the E-PL2. It's probably the best compromise of price, image quality, and controls. If I were buying an Olympus right now, it would be the E-P3. If I were buying an Olympus on a budget though, it would be the E-PL2 over the E-PL3 and E-PM1, due to the physical buttons. The E-P2 has more controls and is just as cheap, but the E-PL2 has faster operation and makes better images than the E-P2.
    262901 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Digital Camera - Black with 14-42mm II Black Lens

You may want to research the Olympus GF2 as well; it preserves on-camera controls while also allowing you to perform functions through menus.
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I hear you...I like my buttons and dials and I have a hard time when they are absent. About the smallest thing I've gotten that has enough control is my GF2 and even that took some getting used to.
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It took time to get used to the E-PL2 as well, but there's still a lot of things I miss from the thumb dial. I don't know how people can use cameras like the E-PL1 or the Sony NEX.
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree completely...that was one of the main things about the E-PL1 that drove me crazy. It's a neat little camera but I just could NOT get used to using the buttons. I quite like the setup on the E-P1/P2 and P3 in that regard.
  14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I had the EMP1, and it was a bit small for my hands. The jog wheel was a bit small too. Given that there aren't many other direct function buttons, I had to use the jog dial and directional presses a lot. So I returned it.

I received the EP3 last Friday, and the handling (to me) is exponentially better. The jog wheel is pretty much the same size, but having the direct buttons to delete, change mode, and the additional thumb dial to change aperture is a lot better for my hand. The extra thickness is nice too. The touch AF/shutter release was surprisingly good. Photo review with the touch screen is very nice as well. Last but not least, the OLED LCD on the EP3 is very very nice. It's tons better than the 16:9 LCD of the EPM1, better than the GH2, and almost as good as the LCD (in terms of contrast and brightness) as the NEX3/5/5n.

Is the EP3 worth $400 more than the EPM1? Only the user can decide if the ergonomics, better screen and touch operations are worth $400 extra. Personally, I'm still pondering whether or not to keep the EP3 too, or perhaps just hold out for the rumored GFX1.
  15. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I discovered the SCP just before my trip and love it.
  16. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I've got a d700 too.. Which is why I went for the e-p3.

I had a long play in local camera shops with the various models and felt I still needed the dials.. Adjusting things through menus doesn't come naturally to me, but we are all different.
  17. kujo

kujo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011
    thanks all.
    Yes I did research are you kidding me ????

Unfortunately I'm shooting a show in Miami and they have the worlds worst camera stores. Or should I say pretty much NONE at all.
    If I was in LA I'd have gone into Samy's and got some more hands on time but I didn't have the time or luxury of that here.

I know M was micro as I wanted small size to keep in my back pack, so I always had it with me on set.

Was just asking other owners if they wished they'd just gone the other way and/or, if they changed their minds after using it a bit.

18. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    For those of us who generally use Panasonic cameras, what's Olympus' Super Control Panel like? Screen shot? Is it similar to Panny's Quick Menu?
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It like this.
    you scroll up and down(the right side) to select WHAT you want to change
    and then left and right(the bottom row) to select the adjustment
    theres IS/picture mode/wb/shooting mode/sensor ratio/file type/movieoptions/flash/flash adjustment/metering mode/focus options/iso/face priority/movie mic on or off/

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    • Like Like x 1