Not a lot of participation

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Les I suggest that we do the challenge to end by Monday, results on Tuesday and new challenge by Wednesday, this way the participants will have time to work on entries during the weekend.

A two week challenge is too long

This seems like a reasonable suggestion. I think doing challenges over a one week (or six day) timeframe will give most folks who want to participate a chance to do so. I also like the idea of ending the challenges on a consistent day each week.

savvy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Les
Les I suggest that we do the challenge to end by Monday, results on Tuesday and new challenge by Wednesday, this way the participants will have time to work on entries during the weekend.

A two week challenge is too long
Yes, Ehud, I agree, I do think that 2 weeks is too long, as well.

Incorporating a weekend idea is good :2thumbs:, I don't have any statistics, but intuitively you would think that the current 72-hrs that fall mid-week would be less well entered.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
This seems like a reasonable suggestion. I think doing challenges over a one week (or six day) timeframe will give most folks who want to participate a chance to do so. I also like the idea of ending the challenges on a consistent day each week.

+1!

--
Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
Yes, Ehud, I agree, I do think that 2 weeks is too long, as well.

Incorporating a weekend idea is good :2thumbs:, I don't have any statistics, but intuitively you would think that the current 72-hrs that fall mid-week would be less well entered.

This is why i win so many lately.:smile:

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
I think the salon runs for two weeks, which is too long. By the end of the first week the thread is lost and most people don't notice it, and therefor there is a lack of participation.

The 72 hour challenge perhaps burns out too fast? Perhaps someone can do a week long challenge, something in between the two.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Maybe we should get little trophy's next to our name like a certain other site *cough FM cough* and even they have limited entries on their week long contests. I do like the voting structure at FM though but I'd minus the names, and then chat about the photo's at the end of the contest. Not sure at all how hard that is to set up. 72 hours is way too short for me, I've been putting in 50 hour weeks lately and I literally have a few hours in the middle of the day and weekends to go out and shoot lately. HOPEFULLY, that will change soon enough but until then... guh, sleep, check internet, sleep and/or eat.

rhoydotp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
rpamparo
Great discussion and very good suggestions all around. It's good to know that there is hope for participation/contribution in the "challenges". As some have already alluded to, it's not only for fun but also very educational for us novice. I, for one, also find myself being inspired by some of the beautiful images posted here.

rhoydotp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
rpamparo
I wonder if a sticky of the latest challenges/salon will help them get noticed. Or something similar that can get more attention to those who don't venture the sub-forums

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I wonder if a sticky of the latest challenges/salon will help them get noticed. Or something similar that can get more attention to those who don't venture the sub-forums

I'm not sure what making the posts sticky would really do for you. They're already easy enough to find if you get to the sub-forum (which is the only place you'd see they were sticky).

Perhaps we could ask Amin about adding a sidebar to the Active Discussions page along the line of what is done with the "Latest Hot Deals"?

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
I as well found 2 week challenges to be too long drawn out which is why I wanted to keep things moving with 72hr challenges. But a week-long challenge works as well if it will bring up the participation level. I just want to see people submitting their best work as I could not possibly keep up by viewing every single image thread in existence. I thought the submit your best work for the month was a great idea as well except I think everyone should just submit 2 or 3.

I've been toying around with the idea of putting up a critiquing group except that needs at least a handful of active curators. I was part of one on Flickr for a year except they had to recently shut down for the same reason of waning participation. Or what about a submit a photo for critique but critique the 1 or 2 before yours? Just throwing out some ideas. This is a very active forum with a good number of great forum members -- we just have to come up with ways to keep the party going. :D

unkabin

Mu-43 Regular
The thoughts of visibility of the contests seem wise. As a one-time member of another photography website (for sony/minolta), I appreciated their splash page (or front page or whatever you call it) having a rotation of past contest winners--inspiring and a good reminder.

savvy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Les
BTW, I'd just like to say thanks to Rhoy for starting this whole discussion off, welll worth the debate.

rhoydotp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
rpamparo
BTW, I'd just like to say thanks to Rhoy for starting this whole discussion off, welll worth the debate.

i love this community, as many here do as well! i love the honesty without being condescending (at least not too much) :drinks:

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
I've been an active contributor on the post processing threads.... while they are fun.. I am not sure that they are as always useful as they should be.

throwing wild and wacky filters/presets randomly at the problem doesn't really move anybody forward.. Often PP isn't about the wacky and more about the intelligent use of the basic controls you find in your image editor of choice...

just me thinking out loud

k

GASP!
as a wacky man i take NO offense to this :D hehe

actually, the wacky ones are what give me ideas that id actually USE.. so im thankful for them
but i also know MOST people prefer realistic,... its just not my thing, and im terrible at it.. my brain wont let me stop sliding sliders till its wacky usually.

mebbe we need a wacky winner and a traditional winner to encourage both! :D

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
Yes, I don't even open the 72 hour threads anymore, it is too much of hodgepodge. I think month long challenges would be best. And/or have a general Monthly Photo contest, run by the forum moderators or one other designates, with the 12 winners squaring for the annual prize.

kvg and i tried a month one... it was a dud.. no interest! :(

Latest threads

Top Bottom