1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Not a good message at WWDC keynote

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Jun 2, 2014.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    It looks like Apple is going to replace iPhoto with a Photo app early next year that will sit on top of the 10.10 Yosemite OS. That part is OK by me. What is not fine.....no one in Apple having the guts to say they either are not...or are....going to continue in a meaningful way with Aperture. If are....when?. If not, have the guts to tell folks. They can't be serious if they think serious hobbyists and pros will move from Aperture to Photo next year.

Maybe the iClouds with part and a knight will come ridding over the hill with Aperture X. In the meantime, I will likely delete Aperture and stick with LR as my digital asset manager for photography.

2. Jacquesass

Jacquesass Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2014
    On the other hand, this could explain why Aperture X has been so long coming - not only will iOS8 and 10.10 include better iCloud photo syncing (including nondestructive edits!), but the iOS camera app "plug-ins" could indicate MUCH better plug-in support coming for iPhoto (and Aperture X).

I would love to have access to DxO's PRIME noise reduction directly from within Aperture. In the meantime, I'll be bouncing RAW's from LR to DxO and DNG's back from DxO to LR...

Also, if you bought Aperture from the Mac App Store and aren't using it, you might as well delete it - you can always download the new version for free later.

3. Jacquesass

Jacquesass Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2014
    Also, it looks like iOS Photos and iCloud are going to be able to manage and handle RAW files, with iCloud storage of RAW's and automatic transfer of smaller files (JPEG's?) to your iDevices ... but the nondestructive edits are synced between devices.

Bad news? "Photos" for 10.10 isn't coming until early 2015 ... so maybe get close with LR until then.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/photos/

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    1) this is a developer conference -the purpose of which is to highlight new technologies... not new finished products

2) I saw lots of evidence in the keynote that Apple are offering more interactivity between apps on the same platform

3) if you thought you saw Aperture die and be abandoned, then you also saw iphoto die as well - I seriously doubt this would happen

4)early 2015 is disappointing... but then again Aperture is not exactly a dog as it stands at the moment. I doubt I could make my pictures better with lightroom or capture one

K

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    In Aperture no lens corrections (other that for M43), no noise reduction on the same level as LR, no radial filter...etc. I believe Aperture has a better database structure and UI design; however the editing tool set is not up to the LR level these days. If you use lots of plugins, the missing tools may not matter as much. Lets hope a white knight rides over the hill priging Aperture X before next spring.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    look at my Flickr page... vast majority if not all over the last 5 years are Aperture and Aperture only... wish I could show what they looked like before I worked them Aperture

If you shoot m43 there is no need for lens correction unless you shoot fisheye..

Noise reduction is just noise masking... embrace the noise ... its not evil

a hint of what is possible in Aperture

https://vimeo.com/91727354

Aperture today... right now is as good as any of it rivals right now.... If YOU cant get it right in Aperture YOU wont get it any righter in any other application

k