1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Not a bargain E-PL1 half-case ...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shinobi, Aug 13, 2010.

1. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Got one.

I ordered this case 2 weeks ago directly from them via email to Korea. It cost me 98.00 and I had it in hand in a week. It is a very nice case and works as advertised. I am always on the lookout for cases for my cameras and this was a real find. If you go to their web site and send them an email requesting pricing and shipping quotes they will send you a link to paypal and then ship. Very easy to deal with.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I have the cheapie eBay cases for my e-p1 and e-pl1 - his case is obviously head and shoulders above both of those cases! The flip out battery slot and flush tripod mount look great; the latter being my only gripe onthe cheaper cases as i would love to attach a quick release plate flus with the bottom of the case. Looks like a great option!

4. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I removed the big screw under my Olympus half-case, replaced it with an extension screw that goes into the tripod hole, and I can screw in a quick-release plate (attached to my leather handgrip) on the extension. If the case does not have a hole, then drill one :).

But in this case, the opening for the battery/card means no need to remove the case ever again. One needs to buy a memory card reader though.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I tried removing the screws to replace them directly with the plates as well, but they would not come out! any tips? Is there something in between the inner fabric and leather shell that needs to be removed? I am not opposed to some surgery if needed!

6. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I was using the half-case of the Olympus full case (darn more epxensive than the Gariz, Gariz was just too late to come out into the market), so Idon't know if yours is the same. I just forced the big screw out slowly.

Then I use something like this http://photogearfinder.com/Tripod-Socket-Adapter-for-Bogen-Manfrotto-P200960.aspx (but with the same screw size front and back) to extend tripod mount, since my quick release plate has a very short screw.

It's just very hard cardboard in between, and the leather cover looks like leatherette than real leather, very thin that one can scrape strongly with a fingernail and off it comes :(.

The Aki-Asahi case had hard plastic inside, and definitely real leather. I don't know about this Gariz, but I don't see any surgery needed for it, it's a good design by itself. I wish it was a bit higher to cover more of the camera, but nothing is perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    so, I took an exacto knife to the interior base around the screw. Turns out that between the leather, interior cardboard, metal plate and suede interior material there is a small flat metal nut inserted deliberately to stop removing the tripod screw ("deliberately stop" is of course my point of view - theirs would be that it is done that way so their bottom screw isn't lost. PFFT!) :)

Anyway, now that I have removed both of the base plate screws, I have a new problem! The kirk quick release plate I wish to use came with a 3/8" long tripod screw. This is 1/4" too short. I have sent kirk photo an email to see if they have any 5/8" screws that I can purchase (longest in their misc parts section is only 1/2" inch). I tried home depot, but since the screw requires threading at the tip (1/8") and the rest of the screw to be bare, they couldn't help. They did refer me to a local shop that specializes in fasteners (not open today) which I will check out tomorrow to see if they can help me out. Lots of Fun!

Edit: Thank you Really Right Stuff! they have the exact screw I was looking for.

Double edit: ok, $4 per screw I could have stomached. another $6 for shipping? That was a little sickening. Looking for other options (have a couple emails out), will update with results!

• Like Like x 1
  8. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    Can you give any more detail about the quality of this case? It looks very nice in the photos, but sometimes looks are deceiving. You have to be careful about leather products, because a lot is not real leather. Some of the cheap leather cases on ebay are actually "PU Leather" or another term for it "Bicast Leather". Those are not real leather, but a split leather with polyurethane coating and a fake grain surface added to it to give it a distinctively look. Of course fake leather is good for people that are against using animals for products. But be careful not to pay full price for a cheap imitation.

The leather on the Gariz case looks to be rather thin in the pictures. I suppose the bottom of the case is plastic?

9. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I paid more for my Olympus original full case and it is leather like you described, "cheap". One scrape with a long sharp fingernail and the very thin "leather" is scraped off. Still, not too bad, but Aki-Asahi or Gariz cases are higher quality cases. I'd like a Leicatime, but looks like the maker has no interest for Olympus.

So far, all leather items I've got from Korea are good, like the Matin handgrip I use for my E-PL1, the LX3 leather case.

Bottom of the Gariz is hard plastic, although finished to have a gunmetal look.

End of the day, it's the Gariz design that appealed to me. Went out for a long shooting and it was great to easily change the battery. My Matin handgrip is also screwed onto the tripod hole, and I don't have to unscrew it anymore. Basically, I never have to remove the case now, it is permanent.

I can do without a case, but it adds volume and gives me a better grip for the E-PL1, which is too small for my hands as is. And the Gariz E-PL1 case is designed well where the leather was cut to shape for the grip. Not as well done on the Olympus.

Also, having to use a memory card reader now rather than the USB cable is more efficient, faster downloading of images.

P.S. it is cheaper direct, also see more pics :)
    etc : XS-CHEPL1 ?? ????

http://www.gariz.com/index.php?doc=bbs/eng_order.php - their email

10. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    Okay, I am going to order this leather case for my E-PL1. It looks very nice and it is the only case where you can have access to batteries and SD card. How about the "gunshot strap" or neck strap? I don't know which one to get. I don't really like neck straps, and I don't know how safe to have camera dangle around upside down while walking with "gunshot strap".

I looked at some other y-straps but they are all so large looking. Most are too large for m4/3 cameras and wouldn't look right attached to the E-PL1. Perhaps a wrist strap would be more appropriate for m4/3?

11. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I don't use neck or shoulder straps as well, not even on my dslr, I have a bag after all. The strap can be useful sometimes, but I prefer the wrist strap for additional shooting stability. This is what I use, the only one I know of that secures the wrist as well.

MATIN New Genuine Leather Camera Hand Strap Wrist Grip - eBay (item 220653449662 end time Aug-22-10 19:14:31 PDT)

I changed the bottom plate to the smallest one I could find in the stores here, which is this one:
    Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> P7D

All add up to the cost, but it all works for me ...

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can make your own "Y strap" or "gunshot strap" to your specifications.... nylon straps, buckles, and various latches and such are available at the local hardware store.

Here it is when latched to one of the strap rings of a rangefinder:

and here is how the same would work with the EPL1 using the screw portion of a tripod QR plate..

I generally use it with a point and shoot camera (LX3).. it works very well with that camera.

13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

are you using the wrist strap with your DSLR or m4/3rd body? I have one used with another camera but it doesn't work well with the EPL1. The E-PL1 body is too small and the wrist strap is designed to fit your whole hand into... the E-PL1 body is small enough that the top strap loop is not above the hand but in between your first and middle finger.

14. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I use it on both, works fine for me, the top strap loop is above my first finger just like on my dslr. The important thing is that the wrist is secured with the second strap.

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I hate neck straps too! This is my weapon of choice on all 4 of my cameras, the Optech SLR wrist strap - it is rigid enough to stay out of the way (fold either over or under thumb and forefinder), and doubles as a tripod safety catch. It does get slightly uncomfortable when its very hot out, but not overly so. Here is a random shot of it used as a safety catch on my tripod:

16. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    I got the Gariz half-case today for my E-PL1. It is a rather light leather case. Because of the plastic bottom, this adds about 1/4" to the height of the camera. This makes the battery compartment recessed in, like the photos show. No problem, and I like the grip it provides.

But I don't understand the "locking time" screw thing. The instructions say "Memory locking time, it helps to anti-screw loose". I was hoping it provided a way to really lock down the case to the camera. Instead, it is just a regular screw that screws into camera, and the "time markings" are just for reference. It's just there so you can look occasionally at it to make sure it isn't coming loose. Because I figure the screw could still turn loose over time, unless you really tighten the case down onto your camera.

So I think you would be risking using the "gun-shot sling" with this function, because the screw doesn't lock in place. Am I missing something?

17. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I think it applies to all the straps in the market that are hooked up to the tripod screw. Even if you use the hex screw to really lock it (without breaking anything from overtightening), I think it will loosen in time. It won't loosen in a day of course but over a long period of time. In that sense, it is still safe, just make sure it is still tight when you go out again.

Anyway, I don't want that strap, as I use the EVF VF-2, and I'm sure that when I raise the camera one day to my eye, poof, VF-2 disappeared somewhere along my trail :eek:

Recessed is good, IMHO, it "protects", similar to a lens hood.

I only wish the leather was higher right up to the strap lugs.

18. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Anyone has experience with Roberu from Japan? Looks like it's made so you can still put in a tripod because the half case is held up through the strap brackets, not the tripod screw

Google Translate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DSC_0384re.

DSC_0395re.

19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Very nice case that roberu! I was going to say it would be a PITA getting to the battery compartment, but looks like they solved that with a button clasp underneath one of the strap lugs, very smart. The only problem with using these cases with a tripod (or quick release plates) is that the leather adds additional thickness, and the tripod screws (or quick release plate screws) are generally not long enough to accommodate the additional depth.

20. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I wonder if thee is a screw extender or adapter that wpuld wpek
    I wonder if there is a screw extender or adapter that can extend beyond the leather.