1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Not a 43 owner yet

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Jeff Bennett, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    But I'm tired of not taking my DSLR places I'd like to snap pics because I don't want to be that guy with the big camera. I'm to cool for that you know. :)
    I think I'm about to but an Olympus PEN of some variety.

• Like Like x 1
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Pre-welcome! Tons of great info on the site here and a great time to shop for m4/3. Deals on earlier models and awesome new stuff from Panasonic and Oly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome aboard! I came from Canon DSLR myself.

4. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I seen one of them huge Canons over the weekend, I almost ducked when the attractive English-Accented-Asian-Female pointed it towards my direction with fears that a lead ball would shoot at me out of that barrel for a lens :rofl:

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome, Jeff! Are you thinking one of the newest PENs like the E-P3 or E-PL3?

6. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Maybe an e-pl1 or e-pl2. They seem to be steeply discounted right now at B&H and Amazon. Or I might try to pick up used here even better. I'd love to get an adapter and use some old Pentax 110 lenses for fun too.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very cool, Jeff. I would definitely pay the extra for the E-PL2 over the E-PL1. The E-PL1 is dumbed down and can only use push-button control. The E-PL2 however, is a kick-arse camera. ;)

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Welcome, Jeff! Here's another vote for the E-PL2 over the E-PL1. Also, leftover E-P2's are still available with the 17mm f2.8 prime lens for $499.

9. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    was in the same situation and then my dslr had to go in for warranty repair. Picked up an epl2 and adapter for my pentax lenses. The m4/3 is fun to use and offers many dslr features and great image quality.

10. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Other than metal body is the any advantage to the non l version? I don't see any point in spending extra for the metal when we are talking digital and the body will be obsolete in a very short period of time.

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    1 more control dial on the E-P2. E-PL2 is the smart move, I think. The E-P2 was more of an emotional decision for me... it feels solid, great in the hand and I love the looks.

12. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
  13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Welcome to the club. Great prices for E-PL2 kits start to appear. BH also sells refurbished E-PL2 kits for $419.
    E-PL3 on the other hand, even though more expensive, seems like a dumb-down downgrade to me especially when used with Panny 20mm (=no dramatic change in AF speed)

14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  15. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    Can't wait to use it and leave my big old K-R at home.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sweet! :thumbup: Is your K-R perchance in red as well? ;)

17. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

18. Jeff Bennett

Aug 23, 2011
    Memphis
    No. Normal Back. the oly red looks cool and metallic though. I'm amped. Now to start tracking it obsessively. ;-)