1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by adelorenzo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    • Like Like x 17
  2. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    The first one is terrific, what time did you exp for, & what iso?

3. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Thanks! I shot everything at 100 ISO with daylight white balance. That first shot was 10 seconds at f2.5.

I try to keep my shots looking like they did to my eye. The camera picks up so much more than we can actually see.

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Geez. I've always have been curious about the Northern lights, and would love to see them for real one day. They look majestic here. Is there any noise while it happens?

I like the probie thingos sticking out of the top of the pine trees. They look like fingers reaching up into the vast unknown.

5. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    first shot is amazing. Like others. Wish I can see that in real life one day.

6. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    nice shots... I am so jealous that I was up in Norway a month too early, so the ones I saw in December were really faint... it looks like some really spectacular action the last few days... and coming pretty far south as well, though I do not think it will reach quite down to Rome ;-)

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1 :2thumbs:

8. AverageCanadian

AverageCanadian Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2010
    So very jealous. One of these years I will be able to see the Northern lights in person.

9. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Thanks everyone!

They are silent for the most part, although during a very intense display people say you can hear them.

It's the first time I've ever photographed them and I'm pleased with how they turned out. It takes a bit of commitment as you need to drive away from the city lights to go stand around in the cold at midnight. I tried some different lenses an exposures, but the 14mm wide open at 10-15 seconds seemed to be my best combination.

There are is another local guy who has a lifetime of amazing shots on Flickr, check out his photostream:
    Flickr: David Cartier's Photostream

10. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Just lovely. You're so very lucky to live where you can see the Northern Lights, we're too far south. I've only seen them once and they were both eerie and beautiful.

11. lisa

lisa New to Mu-43

Aug 21, 2011
    Geelong, Australia
    Thanks for sharing these, great shots.

To see the northern lights is on my 'some day' to do list (a list which also includes 'to photograph the northern lights').

12. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    • Like Like x 1
  13. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I wish I can come over for a holiday and take photos like that myself. Seems amazing.

14. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Nice capture of Pleiades in the third image, too.

15. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Oh ... wow!

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very cool. I'd love to see them, but I've lived down here in the south most of my life. First shot is awesome.