Northern lights ...Iceland

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Here's a few shots of the northern lights in north west Iceland, awesome show!!!

A lot noisier than the jpg's onmy PC, need to investigate

Paul

Northern%2520lights-4.

Northern%2520lights-2.

Northern%2520lights-5.

Northern%2520lights-10.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Love these photos -- and this subject in general.

3. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Beautiful shots :thumbup:

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Incredible shots; thanks for sharing.

Once while camping in Iceland my wife and I were awakened in the middle of the night by what we thought was something shining a flashlight on our tent (with fly). It was Northern Lights, sort of like your first shot. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my entire life.

5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    WOW!!! great set. I've always wanted to catch one...

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Ditto!...cool shots. Never seen them with my own eyes, nor a real full eclipse.

7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    The 1st one looks pretty clean and is the best one to me!

8. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Thanks for the comments guys, unfortunately I didn't get another attempt at these but next time would try using the 'long exposure noise reduction' option as I took all these with no NR at all.
    The exposures were typically 1600 - 3200 ISO at 10-25 seconds depending on the intensity of the light. I used the 12-35 f2.8 lens for the first shot wide open, the rest were with the 7-14 f4.0 lens also wide open but a stop slower so I had to either double the ISO or exposure resulting in more noise.
    Th e7-14 gave the best compositions but the 12-35 gave the lower noise so a bit of a dilemma which way to go.
    There was a guy on our group with a Nikon f4, the largest DSLR I've ever seen but to give it credit his shots were noise free and captured more light than my trusty GH3, but at a finacial cost and SIZE, geeez that's a big beast of a camera :eek:

Paul

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If you didn't have LNR on when taking the shots, you may still be able to reduce noise considerably using dark frame subtraction in post. Might be worth a shot:

Dark Frame Subtraction using Adobe Photoshop<br>by Chris Limone | Take Great Pictures

Did you mean the D4? I have a friend I camp with that shoots with a Nikon D4, I joke with him that it's a boat anchor. Even compared the D800 it feels huge haha.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Breathtaking series for sure! :smile:

11. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    This set is fantastic! Very nice work!

12. CliftonBowers

CliftonBowers Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2013
    sensational photogtaphy being described here, i love them a lot, superb and amazing things shown here

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Did you determine why they look noisier on here than on your PC?

Did you try doing some Noise reduction in LightRoom?

14. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The pics were straight ooc jpgs I uploaded while on holiday, I had no nr selected, in hindsight selecting long shutter nr would have been diligent.
    I,m processing the raw now so will upload more pics in the next couple of days.

Paul

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    Beautiful Photos. Northern lights are definitely on my photography bucket list. Its good to see m4/3 performing so well in this area!

16. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    These are great and I'd love to shoot the northern lights as well as some other great spots on Iceland. I'm no expert at all, but for most of my night shots I tend to use a lower ISO and longer shutter speed with LENR. With stars there is a limit before they start trailing.

17. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Wow - great photo's of a natural phenomenon :thumbup:

18. darthhen

darthhen New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Excellent pix. I went a couple of years ago in November. There were no lights at the time. I did get nice pictures of the sheeps, horses, and black sand beach.

Sent from my 1020 using Tapatalk

19. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    when did you take these? I'll be there the first week of November. Planning a trip to Godafoss and hoping for some Aurora Borealis action.

Thanks,

20. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2013
    County Durham, UK
    Dave
    Looks like a great display. Shame about the noise, did you use ISO3200 or above? I have recently moved to Microft, but hung onto my EOS30D for night time use, as the GX1's sensor is not up to it.