1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Northern Italy photo ops

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ~tc~, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Next week, I will be in northern Italy for work. The first couple of nights we are staying in Lecco, The next couple in Val d'astico, then Nebbiano, and the final night in Milan.

Only photo ops will probably be walking around the hotel either after dinner or early morning as we will be working or driving during the day. Hopefully, things will go well, and we will have a "free" day at the end in Milan, but it's not looking good right now.

So, anything I should be on the lookout for, anywhere particularly photogenic?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Never been there. But looking forward to seeing your pics!

3. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    We have 2 Nebbiano, one near Florence, one in the Marche region. Both wonderful places for natural landscapes!
    I don't like Milan, but could be nice for street photography. Centrale train station is cool (but you have to ask to an officer, in Italy you cannot take photos in train stations...)

4. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    First: in Milan, anytime head for the Galleria and the streets around it for lots of people watching. If you have time in the evening, the Navigli area is beautiful (and food is good). I agree about Centrale, take care there as pickpockets are masters of their art there (there's a famous video of a young boy slowly emptying a backpack while the owner was walking, even putting something back inside)

Lecco is not huge and quite scenic. Landscapes and the old centre.

Valdastico is tiny and quite scenic (mountains). Nebbiano I don't know.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This Nebbiano is near Piacenza.

Thanks for the help, especially the guidance about no photos in train stations! Anywhere else I need to be mindful of photography restrictions?

6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Maybe only military areas - those are quite clearly labeled with yellow signs about 50x60cm, with the black writing "zone militare- limite invalicabile" (meaning "military area - do not cross this limit" and Cold War icon of a soldier aiming at you). Other forbidden places should also be labelled, usually with black icons on white, typically with the icon of a camera crossed.

I'd not worry much about shooting inside the waiting areas of the train stations, Japanese tourists do it all the time and nobody cares. Probably if you aimed your camera at the control systems and at the structures you would encounter more problems. Just be ready to show your pictures to the officer if asked and to delete them (or give your sd card) if requested.
    That said, you are an American and here for work, I doubt anyone is going to bother you.

7. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Just checked, that law against taking pictures of train stations, trains, in the train etc) is a VERY old one!
    It comes straight from the King Vittorio Emanuele II in 1941.
    The heading of the law states (http://www.ilchiaroscuro.altervista.org/regio-decreto-11-luglio-1941-n-1161):

RE D’ITALIA E DI ALBANIA
    IMPERATORE D’ETIOPIA

That is: King of Italy and Albania, Emperor of Ethiopia!

Amazing it's still there, still valid, and photographers are still harassed for snapping pictures at those things.

Aniello

8. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    The street side espresso bars at early morning rush hour, in the bigger cities like Rome and Milan, are rich with opportunity and low glowing light casts. In fact early morning anywhere in Italy is a photographer's dream. Get up an hour earlier than usual and just go out.

Bokeh D

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This is definitely a "target rich environment"!

I wish I could figure how to post pictures from my ipad

10. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Flickstackr, Snapseed, and even Tapatalk can do it, if your hotel has wifi. Many have it for free and some for a fee.
    Enjoy your time around, and don't forget food - northern food is less known abroad, but the places you are going to visit have delicious local food. I was going to suggest wine, but it could harm your pictures..

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Oh, yes, since I am here for work, I must have wifi! I can upload the pictures to Facebook or shutterfly, but can't figure out how to insert thhem as IMG tags, and the resolution limits of the internal gallery on here makes uploading them that way more trouble than it's worth.

12. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Hmm. flickr makes it easy giving you the BBcode ready to copy and embed inside the share menu, that's what I use. Maybe shutterfly has a similar solution.

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Going back next week!

If anyone is in the Piacenza area, and wants to meet up in the afternoon of Sunday Oct 3, let me know. Probably will be the only time to get out during this trip :(

15. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    My fiancee is from Piacenza. Try to go to Grazzano Visconti, a medioeval town near Piacenza (actually it's a reconstruction, but a very old one nonetheless).
    Piacenza itself is very nice looking (particularly around the Duomo).

One nice thing about Piacenza is the countryside around it. If you travel out of the city towards Pavia, say in the small town of Agazzano, you will find... Tuscany :)
    Plenty of green fields and hills around there :)
    Go in the morning and hope for some mist !

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    We have plants in Podenzano, Castel san Giovanni, and Nibbiano, so I spend a lot of time seeing the small villages and surrounding countryside!