North Shore Aloha

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Rich M, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Hey everybody....

Greetings from the north shore of Oahu.

About a week ago, I sent on e-mail to Brian Mosley (from another forum), and not only did he cordially respond, he invited me over here for a look. And I am GLAD he did. After a few days perusing the site, reading posts, etc., I thought "What a nice group".. :2thumbs:

Not being native Hawaiian, I have had the wonderful opportunity to have lived here most of my life. Aloha is a word that most feel means hello and goodbye. Aloha is also a way of life or an attitude.....and central to that attitude is a respect and tolerance for others. Long way around...but I sense that here, in this site that Amin has created, a tolerance that is not in evidence on other forums.

Brian.....thanks for inviting me over.

OK....THAT got a little long-winded :redface:

I am a long time Canon shooter who, over time, has become burdened with gear.....LOTS of gear.....and I found, I wasn't shooting all that much because my gear wasn't with me.

In early 2009 I picked up the GH-1, later added a GF-1. My carry around kit is the two bodies, the 20/1.7, Elmarit 45/2.8 macro, 7-14mm and the 14-140mm. All in a tiny bag weighing just over 7 lbs. AMAZING.

Thanks for reading through this........A hui hou (see ya later).

R

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Your living my dream Rich. I've been there 7 xs and hated every time I had to leave....
    I love shooting on the strip in Wai Ki Ki.....
    shooter

4. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a memory from "Queens" in Waikiki :cool:

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    North Shore? I am so jealous. Did the reported tsunami make the waves any bigger than they usually are? I haven't been there for 6 or so years.

Welcome to the forum. Post some photos!! Need to live vicariously through you!

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Yes, Rich welcome aboard and though I've never been to Oahu, I would love to live vicariously until I can make it out there. I like the philosophy of Aloha.

Many thanks for becoming a member here. And I'm looking forward to your involvement here.

7. McDuff

McDuff New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 10, 2010
    aloha

I lived at a renal at chunns. I miss waking up to see the line up.
    Lost all my pic's from spending the winter there when my computer crashed. Its a good thing that the new cameras are plastic, that salt spray is brutal.

8. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Howzit Brah! and welcome. If everyone will indulge me for abit thanks.....
    I too am from Hawaii....born and raised in Kailua (67 grad), just wanted you to know there's another Hawaiian here.....hapa haole, which is part hawaiian.
    This site is great...laid back and fun but people know what there doing and not afraid to help...no egos here. Glad to meet you and welcome once again.

Aloah nui,

PEte

Here you go Rich, this shot is dedicated to your arrival....thanks all for letting me talk story.

[​IMG]

9. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome....

Looks like you all have a connection to here.....(esp Pete...but tell me braddah...how you end up in da desert....plenny sand....no watah??)

Really looking forward to the next weeks and months here.

BTW......Armanius asked about the tsunami. In 2004, after the devastating tsunami in SE Asia, the state in conjunction with the feds put renewed emphasis on the warning system.
    Last Saturday, just about everything worked....there was over six hours of notice....people acted responsibly and evacuated the inundation zones....no panic. The wave pulse arrived w/in 20 min of the predicted time....just that the wave heights were less than predicted.....3' compared to a predicted 6'.

So here's the deal.....just about the whole state is watching the TV.....traffic cameras have been turned around and are facing the ocean.....Waikiki is COMPLETELY deserted.....no traffic....no one on the beach. And here comes this guy.....walks across the beach and wades into the water.

Everyone watching, I am sure, was incredulous. I was listening to a local radio announcer and someone asked him, in that case....what do you do?

He said....."Give him a lei and wish him ALOHA!!!!!" :rofl:

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    That's a great story Rich. Welcome to the forum. I think I may go visit again in July.

11. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Welcome..

Rich .....:smile:

I am new here too ..... nice place:smile:

You come well equipped.:wink:

John

• Like Like x 2
  12. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Aloha no, great to see a few islanders here. I have been mostly lurking on this site but hope to post a bit more in the future. I'm German (actually, born in Wetzlar and raised in Solms - that may sound familiar to the Leica-nuts among you :smile: ), got a job offer in Hawaii a few years ago and couldn't say no :) So, Aloha nui from Manoa,

Stefan

13. Enrique

Enrique Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    spain
    Hi Rich, thank you for your kind introduction, and very wellcome. I hope some day, if some day I become a rich man, I´ll go to your island abord of an incredible sailboat........:biggrin:.This not seems very probable...perhaps in plane someday....

14. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Rich !

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman