Norfolk Coast

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by richie15, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Great pictures Richie. My fav is #1. Thanks for showing to us.

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Richie,

Forgive me, but I find these a little dark. However, these are two great pictures and I've taken the liberty of lightening the shadows, darkening the highlights and boosting the saturation and contrast. Also cropped to panorama, which I think suits these images. Of course, you may prefer the originals, but here goes: :smile:

Richie_s_pic.

Richie_s_pic_2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Nice shots. I do agree with goldenlight that they needed a bit of brigtening up and the altered images are very good and I love the proportions in the first shot.

Great to have colourful beachside cabins. A photo opportunity that screams out "take me". While Sydney is a seaside suburb with more than 70 beaches, we don't have anything like these. I guess the locals got over the modesty thing a long time ago (actually, tey just drive to the beach in their swimers or shed their outer clothes on the beach.

These are classic shots of their type. An investment in some graduated neutral density filters would be a wise choice particularly the first one where a hard 3-stop or similar Reverse GND would work wonders.

Cheers

PeterB666

4. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John

Hi Peter,

Those beach huts originated partly through the need for modesty but that is only half the story. They are also essential for sheltering from the wind, rain and cold of a typical English summer! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. richie15

richie15 Guest

Thanks for the tips. I think the GH1 images require a bit more rework than the G1. The saturation generally seems to be down a bit. I have had another go, are these any better?

4796018013_368c01eb19_b.

4796647950_239fd6eeae_b.

4796647612_db0cab3b16_b.

6. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Funny, a little rework and now #2 is my favorite. All are excellent and even better after your retouch.

Lee

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Definitely a super improvement! The sky in your first one this go 'round is wonderful and I like the wide open feel very much.

8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Norfolk skies ... just made for a wide lens

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Excellent rework on those images... amazing what a difference a good crop and levels adjustment can make.

Cheers

Brian

10. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Much better, Richie. I really like the third one you have added, too. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. richie15

richie15 Guest

Thanks John, if it wasnt for you I would never have tried to change them. What I would say though is lifting the shadows is creating noise, is this normal?

12. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Richie,

Unfortunately increased noise is one of the trade-offs when lifting the shadows, especially on a JPEG. You can always reduce the noise with a program such as Ninja, Neat Image or Dfine but the trade-off then is some loss of detail. There is a bit more latitude in a raw file but a better solution would be to use an ND grad filter at the time of capture, as Peter suggests.

Alternatively, if you don't mind spending time in pp, bracket several frames and merge them in an HDR program (being subtle with the sliders!) or blend the exposures using layers. The latter is my next job - finding out how to do that competently! :smile:

13. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Great job with the originals and edited photos! They are fun images! :biggrin: