Noob's DxO question - color renderings

pgolik

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paweł
Dear all,
Following the advice on this forum, I installed DxO PL4 for my OM-D needs, and so far I love it. It seems to be what I needed - good quick automatic settings for most images, and the possibility to dig deep when needed. I have one question, however (I looked in the documentation, but it's not clear). In Color rendering I have (among many others): "Camera default rendering" (under "Generic renderings") and "Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkIII" (under "Camera body"). What is the difference, if my camera is indeed E-M5 MkIII - wouldn't then it be the same as "Camera default"? The documentation only says that I could choose another camera's rendering (like Leica), if I would like, but doesn't explain what happens if I choose what is actually my camera body - would it be somehow preferable to "Camera default rendering"?

It's supposed to be the same.

When you choose a camera body, it's supposed to give its look.
For instance, selecting "Canon XX" will give something close to what a "Canon XX" picture would look with the "Camera default" rendering.

It's better explained here:
http://dxo.tuto.free.fr/

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Camera default rendering will apply the standard DxO profile for whichever camera body it identifies for that image. Use a E-M5 III, get that applied.

If you manually choose another body, it will apply that profile to the image regardless of which body you shot the image with. For example, I like the Leica M profile myself. I made it my default for any image I import, but you can do it one by one if you prefer.

In my experience, there is a tiny difference between these options:
  • Color Rendering module turned off
  • Color Rendering module turned on, with "Generic renderings > Camera default rendering" selected. (I think this only makes a difference compared to having it off, when "Protect saturated colors" is above 0.)
  • Color Rendering module turned on, with "Camera body > Panasonic/Olympus something" selected. (This feature is mainly there simulate the colour science of camera brands other than the one you shot with. You can select your own brand of course, but that doesn't make much sense. The look is a bit different in my experience though, so you can select it if you so prefer.)
In my default profile, I have the Color Rendering module turned off. Then when I want to play with the colour and tonality a little bit, I try different renderings, usually either some Leica rendering or a film rendering (I like Fuji Pro 400H, Kodak Ektar and Kodak Portra 160VC for colour film).

I'd say: go with what looks best to you.

pgolik

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paweł
I like playing with the *color positive films* option
I'm a bit partial to Fuji Astia .
If you want to go full-blown colorama there is always Fuji's Velvia!
I have many boxes of Velvia slides in my closet (shot on an Olympus OM-4, no less), so that would be a trip down the memory lane. In DxO default does the trick most of the time, sometimes I switch to neutral color in rare cases when the default is too contrasty. Playing with simulations of other bodies' color science is fun, but takes way too much time and detracts from the actual photography. The Leica ones are nice though, can't stand Canon color science for some reason.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom