1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Noob with a question about my E-PL3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cghelton, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cghelton

cghelton New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2013
    Hi guys/gals,
    First time poster and new user to the 4/3 world. Coming from a Nikon D-300. Absolutely love the size of my new E-PL3. Received it yesterday. Man, there is alot in this little package. Lots of customization and a lot to learn.

My only question so far and hopefully it's not too stupid of a question..LOL

My kit lens(14-42) will not auto-focus no matter what mode i have it in. Is there a setting to over-ride that and keep it in manual only? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything. Unless I'm overlooking it.

Nice forums! Love the samples section.

Thanks!!

2. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I do not own that camera, but 37 of the manual describes how to set the FN button to toggle between AF and MF, which is further described on page 89. I don't know if you MUST assign FN to MF in order to do use manual focus, but this is one way.

But more importantly, why is your kit lens unable to use autofocus, I wonder? Sounds like it is defective. :(

3. cghelton

cghelton New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2013
    Thanks for the reply RAH, I was thinking the same thing about the lens. :( I was hoping there was a setting that I may have activated by accident.

4. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Well, it IS possible that you have it set incorrectly. On page 24 of the manual it shows a screen snapshot of the shooting screen. The fourth item down on the left (number 33) shows "S-AF". Does your camera show that, or does it maybe say "MF"? If it shows "MF" then you need to change the camera setting.

Also, maybe the lens itself has a MF/AF switch?

5. cghelton

cghelton New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2013
    Yes, it shows "S-AF" on the display. I don't think there is a switch for manual/auto mode on the kit lens.

I'm going to ask one of the guys I work with when he gets in. He has the newer 5 model. He's the one that actually talked me into buying this.

Anyhow, thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

*EDIT* I took the lens off and put it back on and also reset the camera. Don't know which actually fixed it. And now everything works! WOOHOO

Thanks for your help RAH.