Noob question about LR3.5

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jpplenissart, Oct 17, 2011.

1. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

Hi all,

I'm currently (timidly) working on my PP skills and with the new 3.5 version of Lightroom, you have now a new tab called "lens correction".

This is dedicated to automatically correct distorsion, CA and vignetting of preloaded profile lenses (mostly Nikon and Canon...), but no profile for any m4/3 lenses :(

I wonder if a non-treated Raw, shooted using EP3/20mm combo for example, bears these corrections. If not, how do you apply "in camera correction" on these defects. If you don't, why ?

Thanks ;)

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Good question! I'd like to know the answers too!

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    If I am not mistaken (and I could very well be), the RAW file is supposed to already include all necessary correction parameters, and CameraRaw processes this info (from lens to body to raw file) automatically?

Or something like that. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

This is a french proverb "la nuit porte conseil", literally "night bring you advices" which basically means "sleep on it" ;)

In this case, night and Hyubie have done a good job :)

I agree with you now, I always believed that theses informations were embedded in the output RAW file for format native lenses (basically all µ4/3 oly and pany, maybe oly 4/3 ??).

This option might exist in LR for more exotic combo: third party lens (like the new SLR Magic 12mm 1.6) or lens dedicated to other format.

THank you for reading ;)

PS: I sleep very well despite this huge problem ;)

5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Lens profiling on m43 camera/lens combos is done "In camera" due to the inherent heavy distortion correction needed, the theory being that if you can't see how horrid the ACTUAL distortion is, then you won't worry about it.
    It is quite common to see lens distortion being handled by the camera firmware on these small lenses, it puts less constraints on the lens designers.
    Another factor to consider is that the lens manufacturer has to submit correction details to Adobe to have them incorporated into LR etc or you can profile the lens yourself, there is software readily available.
    Considering how good the 20mm is, in camera distortion correction is not something to be too worried about, it certainly doesn't worry me.
    The 14mm is much more corrected than the 20mm and the Leica lens variants aren't allowed to have distortion correction applied in camera at all as they feel it would lower their name/reputation for optical quality.

• Like Like x 1