noob query re four thirds lendes on micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by so 650, Jan 6, 2011.

1. so 650

so 650 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    Sorry not R'ingTFFAQ, as it were, but can you all tell me whether "regular" 4/3 lenses adapted through, say, Panasonic's DMW-MA1 adapter retain full modern lens automation on micro 4/3 cameras (autofocus, aperture control, EXIF data, firmware update capabilities)? DOes it vary by lens and camera?

Thanks

2. Olympus bodies: Yes for all lenses
    Panasonic bodies: Results may vary with autofocus capability. There's probably a chart somewhere that will show what lenses/bodies do/don't autofocus together

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Agree with Nic's summary and will add two comments.

With Panasonic bodies the 'compatability' with 4/3 lenses has improved with recent firmware.

4/3 lenses optimised for CDAF like Mk II versions of the 14-54 and 14-42 and I think the 75-300 will AF better than the rest (including the SWD models which are quite slow). None are as snappy as any of the :43: lenses.

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

You should look at this chart from olympus for their cameras, and this one from panasonic

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey mate you got me on R'ingTFFAQ. What is that?

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I am guessing he means "Reading The Frigging Frequently Asked Questions"

:)

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Second-gen Panasonic bodies (G2/GH2/GF2) also retain autofocus with all 4/3 lenses. However, those not CDAF-compatible will focus rather leisurely...

8. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Luckypenguin- any experience using Oly 4/3 AF zooms on the E-P1? Are they slower to focus than on Oly DSLRs? I have an E-500 and don't want to give it up until I am sure I can use my 4/3 zooms without issues on the E-P1 and E-PL1. Just ordered the Panasonic adapter and will test out but thought I would check with others on the forum. Thanks in advance.

9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Actually there is such a matching tool

Four Thirds | Special Contents | Matching Simulation

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you what functions do or don't work - lets you visualise the lenses on different camera bodies though and tells you what adaptors are required.

10. You're probably already aware that the E-P1 is the slowest focusing m4/3 camera, so we're already off to a bad start. The CDAF optimized 4/3 lenses like the basic 14-42mm and the 40-150mm MkII are okay...compared to a compact camera. They do not even come close to an SLR. The earlier lenses are even worse. They tend to hunt back and forwards a few times before achieving focus - sometimes you might be waiting a few seconds in bad conditions. Having said that, I still use a few of them myself so don't let me put you off trying them.

11. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Also - from experience, adapted 4/3 lenses won't get firmware updates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.