1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

noob query re four thirds lendes on micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by so 650, Jan 6, 2011.

1. so 650

so 650 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    Sorry not R'ingTFFAQ, as it were, but can you all tell me whether "regular" 4/3 lenses adapted through, say, Panasonic's DMW-MA1 adapter retain full modern lens automation on micro 4/3 cameras (autofocus, aperture control, EXIF data, firmware update capabilities)? DOes it vary by lens and camera?

Thanks

2. Olympus bodies: Yes for all lenses
    Panasonic bodies: Results may vary with autofocus capability. There's probably a chart somewhere that will show what lenses/bodies do/don't autofocus together

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Agree with Nic's summary and will add two comments.

With Panasonic bodies the 'compatability' with 4/3 lenses has improved with recent firmware.

4/3 lenses optimised for CDAF like Mk II versions of the 14-54 and 14-42 and I think the 75-300 will AF better than the rest (including the SWD models which are quite slow). None are as snappy as any of the :43: lenses.

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

You should look at this chart from olympus for their cameras, and this one from panasonic

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey mate you got me on R'ingTFFAQ. What is that?

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I am guessing he means "Reading The Frigging Frequently Asked Questions"

:)

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Second-gen Panasonic bodies (G2/GH2/GF2) also retain autofocus with all 4/3 lenses. However, those not CDAF-compatible will focus rather leisurely...

8. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Luckypenguin- any experience using Oly 4/3 AF zooms on the E-P1? Are they slower to focus than on Oly DSLRs? I have an E-500 and don't want to give it up until I am sure I can use my 4/3 zooms without issues on the E-P1 and E-PL1. Just ordered the Panasonic adapter and will test out but thought I would check with others on the forum. Thanks in advance.

9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Actually there is such a matching tool

Four Thirds | Special Contents | Matching Simulation

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you what functions do or don't work - lets you visualise the lenses on different camera bodies though and tells you what adaptors are required.

10. You're probably already aware that the E-P1 is the slowest focusing m4/3 camera, so we're already off to a bad start. The CDAF optimized 4/3 lenses like the basic 14-42mm and the 40-150mm MkII are okay...compared to a compact camera. They do not even come close to an SLR. The earlier lenses are even worse. They tend to hunt back and forwards a few times before achieving focus - sometimes you might be waiting a few seconds in bad conditions. Having said that, I still use a few of them myself so don't let me put you off trying them.

11. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Also - from experience, adapted 4/3 lenses won't get firmware updates.