Noob in NY burbs

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by SMaturin, Apr 30, 2011.

1. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Just found this forum while searching for a cheap epl2 body.

I got the ep2 last fall as a lightweight backup for my D90 while it was in the shop recovering from my last adventure (Flickr: Steve Dummit's Photostream) motorcycling in the Andes.

Now I'm loving the pen so much I use it more than the dslr, since it can fit in jacket or vest pocket.

But I miss having a flash. So I am weighing whether to buy a small flash or trade for the new epl2. How have others dealt with this concern?

Is there a small pocketable flash unit that is better than the built in flash of the epl2?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Welcome Steve.

The Olympus FL14 flash is the standard off-the-shelf flash unit for the E-P1 and E-P2. It is fairly small and light but it is self powered (2xAA) like any external flash unit so it is by no means tiny. I had one when I bought my E-P1 but sold it fairly quickly. If I need a flash I'll use a more featured one like the (larger) Oly FL36, or just grab a more suitable camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Depends on your pockets... One favorite in spite of some limitations seems to be the nissin di466 (don't own one, so don't ask...) :

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/flash-nissin-di466-4-3-a-2730/

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  4. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Thanks, mauve & luckyp.

I thought the little oly unit looked too limited for the $$. The nissin I have looked at on amazon, and am still thinking about. Lotsa flashy lights on back, which looks cool, but may be a little too flashy for the clean simplicity of the pen look. I would love to hear what owners think of its functionality.

My pockets are roomy (I am fond of vests with lots of pockets). it is my wallet that is cramped.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England