1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Noob from California

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by krysdafur, Apr 22, 2011.

1. krysdafur

krysdafur Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    SoCal
    Hi everyone, been lurking for a weeks while I was deciding on a camera. Just got my Olympus E-PL2 yesterday along with a Minolta MC 50mm f1.4. This is my first interchangeable lens camera. I can't put it down, I've been taking alot of pictures. I'm already charging my battery for the 3rd time since I got it.

I have a few questions. Maybe some can help.
    The battery seems to get pretty hot is that normal?
    Does anyone know what kind of mount is the Nikon lens below?
    I think the lens has fungus on the glass, what can I use to get rid of the fungus that is safe for the glass?

2. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Likely a nikon F mount, very common, someone correct me if I'm wrong. During normal use there will be some heat from the battery due to power being transferred.

If the lens has fungus on the inside you may want to see if a local shop can clean it for you (take it apart etc). As long as it is exterior, your normal lens cleaner cloth and solution should eventually do the trick (camera stores/ Best buy always have a kit you can buy).

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    That's a regular Nikon F mount. I have the exact same lens w/a serial number very close to yours! I got a cheap adapter for it from Rainbow Imaging that works just fine.

I have read (but never tried myself) that for the old manual lenses it's actually not that hard to take them apart, and they are not that complicated, just a few tiny screws.

4. Welcome, krysdafur!

I think OPSSam and Sprinke have correctly identified what mount you lens has.

Just to add the usual warning:

Opening up a lens might be easy enough (but sometimes not!). The trick is putting it back together again at the end.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Where are you in SoCal? There is a mom-n-pop shop here in Pasadena that is supposed to be cheap and excellent.

7. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Love the look of your camera and the Rokkor-X. I believe I hiked around Mt.Rainier with that exact same lens a good number of years ago - it sure looks familiar. I also had the 28mm. Anyway - welcome aboard!

8. krysdafur

krysdafur Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks for the help. I'll order a Nikon F mount adapter online.

I bought a cleaning kit from Best Buy and now the outside looks good but I see 1 fungus spore on the inside or it might just be an intricate piece of dust. I don't really know. I guess I will have to take it to a shop one day.

I'm in Corona, Pasadena is about 1hr away so I will need to find something a bit closer.

9. chezznut

chezznut Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    I would not advice cleaning it. Removing the fungus takes a lot of work and it's not worth it (i tried it on an old nikkor 50mm I ended up throwing it because the fungus has damaged the glass). 50mm lens like that are cheaper now, I got mine for $25 at craigslist. BTW i'm from SoCal too.