1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Non-USA Warranty Products

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by acnomad, Jan 21, 2016.

1. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    General question:

Can anyone (in the USA) share an experience with support for defective products that were purchased without a USA Warranty?

I see that there are many e-merchants and eBay sellers offering good prices on non-USA warranty products. One example is valuebasket.com, selling a new PanaLeica Summilux 15mm for US$407 free shipping with a 24-month "local warranty."

A phone call to them revealed that warranty repairs are handled by them rather than Panasonic; they freely admit that the manufacturer's warranty does not apply and offer assurance that any problems after the 14-day no-questions-asked-return-period would be handled by shipping the item to them at a US address for resolution.

They're selling this particular item for 25% less than the current B&H price. Worth the risk?

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I have no experience with warranties, but my Father bought the Japanese versions of the EM1 and some lenses and there are no issues with them physically. (all via ebay sellers)

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Precision Camera Repair in CT is an authorized Panasonic repair facility. I'd email them for a price quote on a repair just in case you have any issues with the lens. I'd avoid sending repairs to the Panasonic repair facility in TX at all cost. That place takes forever to repair anything, warranty or not!

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Worth the risk? That's tough to answer because everyone has a different tolerance level for risk. Personally, I have no issue buying gray market as long as the discount gets me near used pricing. I figure new with a questionable warranty beats used with no warranty.

I usually buy used, but lately I've been finding good gray market deals. I bought one lens from Canada and another from Japan. I saved a total of $250 local retail between the two. Even if I'd had to cover a minor repair, I still think I'd be out ahead.

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If you don't mind the silver lens, there is an international version from a third party seller on Amazon for $389.99

Amazon.com : Panasonic LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm / F1.7 ASPH. H-X015 -S (Silver) - International Version (No Warranty) : Camera & Photo

6. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    Thanks for reminding me of the "gray market" term. That makes me recall that several of my manual focus Nikkors were gray market and they still serve me well decades after purchase. Assuming the plastic barrel doesn't fall apart, I suppose the internal focusing motor and mechanism are the main warranty concern, and probably not likely to fail during the factory warranty period anyway.

7. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
  8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    If you mean the El Paso location, that is also Precision Camera and the reason it takes so long is they don't do interchangeable lens cameras there and when they get one they then ship it GROUND to their CT location to do the actual repair which adds about a week extra to your repair time.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    No not in El Paso, Panasonic has a huge service center near the Texas/Mexican border. They repair anything and everything Panasonic. Dealing with them is a pain though, they treat cameras and lenses like common electronics. At least with the likes of Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Fuji (or any brand with photographic roots), you know your gear isn't being repaired next to an air conditioner or toaster oven!