1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Non-Travel Tripod Recommendations

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Brent D. Wilson, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    I have an Olympus E-M5. I have a compact tripod (Horusbennu C-2540T) that I have used for travel and hiking. That tripod works well. However, the disadvantages are that it has 4 leg sections but still is only 51" high without the center column extended.

I am looking to buy another tripod for situations where compact size and light weight are not critical -- such as when I drive to a location. Since weight is not as critical, carbon fiber would not be necessary (except perhaps for vibration dampening). I would prefer 3 sections and 55+" height without the center column extended.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    The best thing to do with a centre column is to not have one. You don't need it extended far before you have an effective monopod.

Berlebach make excellent wooden tripods and are very reasonably priced but you don't want to walk far with one. I am using a 2 series Gitzo CF currently. It seems more than capable of supporting the E M5. If you get an aluminium one, it would be a good idea to put warmers on the legs as they get seriously cold to carry.

3. Brent D. Wilson

Jul 13, 2010
    I don't use the center column. The Horusbennu is so short that unless I want to bend over, I can't use the viewfinder. Fortunately, the E-M5 has the tiltable OLED screen.

4. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Good move, I do the bending bit. As an old fart, I just don't like composing on the back.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Budget?

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    +1 on the Berlebach. I have a Reporter 4002. Tall 2 section tripod. So tall in fact that if I am happy to sit down, I don't need to extend the legs at all.

7. Brent D. Wilson

Jul 13, 2010
    I would like to stay under $300.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Check out feisol.

9. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    +1

I use a Feisol (3301 I think) with a Markins ballhead for my M4/3 kit. It's a great fit.

11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    $300? +1 to the berlebach, those things will dampen more vibration than anything, and they're so pretty.. imo. They may be a bit more than the $300, but if you want something equally as useful and dampening but butt ugly, get a surveyor tripod, and manfrotto makes a camera tripod plate insert for the top, it should cost south of $100. or south of $75 if you DIY the top. Buy the Manfrotto though if you go the Surveyor route, trust me, it'seasier... so much easier.

12. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Dollar for dollar, nothing beats wood. They are so good but just awkward to carry. Berlebach are exceptionally good value. My model even comes with a levelling base in it.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App