non-standard ISOs increase noise?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by barry13, Jun 7, 2014.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, I came across an article today ( which says:

Does this apply to any/all mu-43 cameras?

I notice on my E-M1 (fw 1.4) that if I change the "ISO Step" option to '1 EV', then it only offers the 'standard' ISOs when choosing manually, but if ISO is set to Auto, it'll still choose non-standard ISOs such as 640.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I think the 'low' ISO setting made available on latest firmware on OM- D EM-5s (and also as standard on EM-1s ?) is equivalent to 100 ISO but is I believe artificially generated by the camera and is only a 'pseudo' 100 ISO and apparently subject to a lower dynamic range
    I don't know if there is any effect on image noise on this setting ?
  3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Panasonic does the same with the "low" ISO setting. I haven't seen any advantage to using this over the normal Low ISO setting of 200. I believe you are correct about the lower dynamic range.
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    From what I read several years ago, Canon did what was described in your quote. No idea if other makers used the same technique.

FWIW, Kent DuFault (the person who was quoted) based on what I read on his site is just a photographer and not particularly technical. Professional photographers virtually never have a solid technical background.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Rather than me make a poor attempt to try to explain the concept here, if you research the term "ISO-less sensor" you will find that for cameras which use type of sensor, every ISO other than the base value requires a push to the exposure so there is no great distinction between, say, a 2 stop push and a 1 2/3 stop push. Sensors such those made by Canon don't use this type of design and I do remember watching a demonstration a few years ago that showed how the "uneven" ISO values could produce more noise than the "even" values.
  6. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    Canon 5D Mark II prefers ISO 160, 320, and etc..

Sent from my Nexus7 using Tapatalk 2
  7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Um...this was a Canon thing... I don't think it applies to m43... I remember this mostly coming about around the time of the Canon 7D and the 5D mkii in 2009. I remember people making WAY too much of a big deal about it.
  8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It was years ago that I tested it on an E-PL2, but I couldn't see that it mattered on that sensor.
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Thanks for all the answers!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43