1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Non-slip tape for camera?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jermonic, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Hey guys.

I'm looking for a cheap adhesive tape, that can be cut into smaller pieces, and used as camera grip for those slippery spots on my G3. I'm currently using duct tape, not exactly the best solution. Anyone 've got an idea of something thats like duct tape, but more nonslippery?

Cheers,
    J.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hockey Tape, especially if you're using a black camera.

I actually use black electrical tape on both my E-PM1s... it's just a small improvement in hold, but it's so discreet it's like it's not there. Just takes away that slippery metal finish.

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gaff tape? Great stuff and more grip than bare plastic. You could try bike handlebar tape. It isn't self adhesive but you could glue it on. Very soft to the touch but grips well. Or you could get non-skid stair tape , it is self adhesive but would not be soft to the touch , but it would not slip!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I also second gaffers tape. The residue is easy to remove with just a wet paper towel cloth and it doesn't affect the finish of any camera. By all means, never use electric tape. I learned the hard way! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Great idea, always looking for different tape solutions. Thanks. -Chrome

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh, then perhaps I may have problems if I take the electrical tape off mine? :frown: Good thing I just keep using my cameras until they die, lol... xD

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    At least your camera will be electricity proof right? Hehehe.

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Corn oil works reasonably well for removing tape residue. I usually follow this with a moist soapy rage to remove the oil, followed by a towel moistened with water, then dry. -Chrome

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The adhesive in electrical tape is actually harmful to camera and lens finishes. Gaffer tape adhesive is safe and will not damage your equipment.

10. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    This describes a lot of my attempts to remove tape residue, also.

• Like Like x 4
  11. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Black magic sporting grip tape. Or Egrips.

Growing up with an endless supply of electrical tape i always found it ineffective outside of actually wrapping wires. The adhesive eventually gives up then leaves some sort of messy residue on whatever it adheres to for a length of time.

12. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Check on a small area before use, but isopropyl alcohol could be good at removing any sticky residue when you come to removing the tape.

For grip: you can buy the stuff they cover the tops of skateboards with. It might not feel great under your fingers, but it'll certainly help with the grip.

13. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I was going to mention skateboarding grip tape, but it's pretty damn close to sandpaper. It scratches anything it comes into contact with. Silver lenses beware. :tongue:

14. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    to remove electrical tape . I have used " Tea Tree oil " its natural and remove it safely
    and leave everything as previously.

15. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The adhesive on gaffers tape does not leave a residue; however, the tape material itself, when allowed to remain on any surface and over sustained periods (over years time and after the adhesive dries) will. Beware.

There is a form of "skateboard tape" that is frequently used on stair steps that is not nearly sandpaperly-rough but maintains a good grip. Available at Ace Hardware stores.

16. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    As mentioned, gaffers tape is probably your best bet. It has a nice feel to it and it won't leave the glue behind.

It's pricey tho. From photo suppliers a 2" wide roll is about 24 bucks. You may be able to pick some up on eBay cheaper.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    3M "safety Walk" tape.

Safety Walk 2 in. x 15 ft. Step and Ladder Tread Tape-7635NA at The Home Depot

The surface is like rough sandpaper, very grippy. I put a strip on the cameras so that my right hand/4 fingertips hit it. It's also nice on monopods if, like me, you use them also as walking sticks.

A roll of this stuff would probably do 1,000 cameras. While I use it for other things, I do have more than I need. If the OP and a few others would like a piece, just PM me a mailing address and I'll send enough to do several cameras. I'll limit the offer to the OP and three more, just so I don't end up doing the whole forum.

Re removing tape, two things:

First, having a secure grip on my cameras is a lot more important to me than whether the adhesive will be hard to remove some day. I treat my tools well, but their continuing perfection is not of great concern to me. That said, I have not had problems with the 3M tape.

Second, my first tactic for removing tape adhesive residue is to use a piece of the tape itself. Stick it down repeatedly onto the residue and usually all the residue eventually ends up on the tape.

HTH

18. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    As Panyuser said the safest, most effective way to remove adhesive residue from any surface is IPA (rubbing alcohol).

19. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Lively debate, wonderful.

I wasn't using duct tape as stated (duct tape is meant to stick forever and will leave residue), but the gaffers tape you speak of. It's better than the very slippery G3 plastic, but still not topnotch. Oldracer, I will most respectfully decline your generous offer - for which I'm thankful. But I live in Denmark, and can't really accept such an expense on your behalf. ;-) But I'll check out the DIY shops for some of that 3M safety walk myself.

Again, thanks.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'll take your offer, as long as you don't have to pay nothing more than a regular stamp to send it to Canada. :) I have two E-PM1s which could use that...