Non-Portraits with the G3 and the 45mm f1.8 (Many Pictures!)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by napilopez, May 30, 2012.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Thought it would be fun to share some photos with the 45mm that aren't just close-up portraits(not that I don't love those! Those are probably my best shots).

Reposted from my dpreview thread:

Just thought I'd share some recent shots! I've mentioned this before here but I picked up a G3 as my first camera back in January. First cam other than my phone that is, and an E-PL1 which I only had for a week before I returned it to get the G3(AF was too slow). I've gone from not knowing what aperture meant to following this as a hobby I can't see going away!

I' bought45mm f1.8 about a month ago, and man do I love this lens. Much better than my FD 50mm f1.4, though I still love that one too. I thought I'd share some of the shots I've taken with it since I got my 45mm. My favorite shots were actually mostly portraits of my friends (lots of photos were taken as I just graduated from college!) but I don't feel comfortable sharing their faces without their permission. I know, hypocritical of me since I do street photography! Some of the following were while were reminiscing about our years at Columbia.

Anyway, on to the pics. Hope you enjoy! You'll notice alot of them have a faded looks in the shadows(achieved with tone curve in LR4) Trying to sort of find an aesthetic identity with my photos and that's my current trend. Hopefully it's not too distracting =]

Sculpture at the local mall:

Bush shaped like a ring:

Dawn on an NYC rooftop:

St. John the Divine Cathedral:

Mother's Day Cards!

Man on a bench:

Water Umbrella:

A Sporty Couple:

Searching for Family:

Budding Flower:

A walk through campus:
    • Like Like x 8
  2. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Very nice photos!
  3. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good work! What aperture do you usually use w/ this lens? Mainly for keeping the entire image in focus.
  4. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Well in none of these pictures the full image is in focus. I quite like to shoot wide open, and generally don't stop down past f4 except for some macro stuff. The thing is for this lens, on occasions where I want everything in focus, it's almost always going to be for far away objects or imagery, so that these objects will already be at hyperfocal range for that aperture anyway. For anything or a person nearby, I'll want some subject isolation. I remain at 1.8-2.8 for most things. I can't get over how sharp this lens is wide open. I'm not sure my Canon FD 50mm(f1.4) ever gets this sharp on a m43 body. The only issue is some fringing on high contrast areas when wide open, which is easily remedied in Lightroom.