1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Non Oly/Pan auto-focus lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by imahawki, Jul 30, 2015.

1. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    It seems that there are very few auto-focus lenses available outside of Olympus and Panasonic. Certainly I'm aware that Tamron makes a couple but given the open nature of m/43 I feel like there could be more. Why is nothing from Rokinon AF? Do they just not make AF lenses?

2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Samyang (aka Rokinon, bower, etc) does not make AF lenses.

As far as I know, currently the only third party AF lenses are the Tamron super zoom 14-150mm, Sigma 19mm, 30mm, 60mm, Kodak 12-45 and 42.5-160mm.

3. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Try Sigma 60mm....it's an outstanding lens

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    m43 is not an open standard. The difference is that unlike other proprietary systems, anyone can join and get the specs instead of reverse engineering.

I'm pretty sure that every manufacturer making m43 lenses, except Samyang, have bought in and are members of the group.

Fred

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The MF lenses are all mechanical and are nothing more than a body cap to the camera. To implement AF the lens has to have a full electronic interface for AF motor and aperture control with the camera, because all control of the focus and aperture is done by the body. It makes the lens a lot more expensive.

6. lahsrah

lahsrah Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2015
    The 3 Sigma primes are good, 19, 30, 60mm all F2.8. Sharp and fast focusing. Hopefully Sigma will make more M43 lenses though as these are all APS-C lenses with a M43 mount and larger than they need to be.

7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Agreed. Just buy the 60mm last week and try it and feel very surprise with it peformances.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The Sigma 60mm is really quite small - it's a small fraction of the size and weight of the 75mm f1.8, and barely larger than the 45mm f1.8. The Sigma 60mm is also an optically superb lens, and very versatile. You can also screw front achromat diopters onto it and get very nice macro performance with AF support. The fact that it was originally designed for the APS-C format is one reason that the performance at the edge of the 4/3 frame is so good with this lens - very nearly as sharp as at the center.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Wow.

IIRC there has been some very nice work done with "nothing more than a body cap:" Mathew Brady, Eugene Smith, Dorothea Lange, Richard Avedon, Yousuf Karsh, Ansel Adams and others come to mind.

Try this one: "Auto-focus and auto-exposure are expensive and fragile crutches for people who lack basic photographic skills and knowledge.":biggrin:

:popcorm2:

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I don't think the "body cap" comment was intended to be the put-down you interpreted it as - it is simply a fact that the electronics of the camera's lens mount don't recognize manual lenses - and the camera responds as though there were a body cap on it. In fact, Olympus makes a couple of inexpensive wide angle small aperture fisheye lenses that DO double as body caps, but some creative folks have taken some great photos with these body cap lenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Well ... there you have it.

I think Tamron, Sigma and Kodak are enough for now,
    considering the sheer number of excellent AF lenses existing so far.
    I can recommend the Sigma 30mm = very good in every way.

12. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Thank you. Unfortunately, reading comprehension tests aren't required for joining an internet forum.

13. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Sigma lenses are not more expensive. At all.

14. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    Where are Kodak branded lenses sold? Never seen one in the USA.

15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    They're sold in the China domestic market. A user here has posted a thread or two about them.
    He said focus is quite slow.

Barry

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland