1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Non-Minolta MD/MC

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by carpandean, Dec 14, 2010.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I've always been a Minolta fan and have some old glass (plus some new-to-me glass) in the MC/MD mount, as well as the Maxxum AF mount. I've started using them adapted on my GF1 and enjoy them quite a bit.

I'm curious, though, if any of the non-Minolta MC/MD lenses are worth buying. I'm not looking to go cheap for the sake of cheap, but rather wondering if there are some hidden gems. Pictures, when adapted of course, are always appreciated.

2. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Canon FL/FD glass is good as Minolta MC/MD glass
    what are you looking for, other than price?

3. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'm looking for other brand (e.g., Vivitar, Tokina, etc.) lenses made to fit the MD/MC mount that are worth looking at, not a different major brand (i.e., different mount.)

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I guess some of us are wondering why stick with a Minolta mound for third-party glass since the GF1 doesn't care. Most of my adapted lenses are Pentax (K and screw) mounts, but I also have some Nikon and Olympus lenses as well as a nice Minolta 50/1.7 lens.

I used to own Minolta cameras many years ago and really like their lenses and have bid on several so I know why you like the Minolta brand lenses.

I picked up a really nice Tokina SD lens in Minolta mount, a 400/5.6 cheap. But it would be the same lens no matter what mount it came in.

5. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Fair question, especially with adapters being fairly cheap ... or, at least, there are cheap versions. I guess that I was thinking about only having to take one adapter with me. I'll have to think about expanding my options, though.

Anyway, if anyone does have experience with any non-Minolta MC/MD's, I'd still be interested to hear about them.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    As I said, I own a Minolta mount Tokina SD 400/5.6. I like it because it is one of, if not the shortest, 400mm lenses out there. It is only a millimeter or two longer than my Nikon 300/4.5. And it has internal focusing so it stays short.

Unfortunately I bought it only a month or so ago so I have only a few shots but they look fairly sharp. This one is uncropped and slightly processed (mostly sharpening and noise reduction) from a cloudy day in early November.

1126797878_d8mF6-L.

• Like Like x 2
  7. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    Tokina ATX 100-300mm 4.0 at 5.6 or 8.0? Minolta MD mount. I am probably close to 300mm on this one.

I like this lens so much I have two - the other is in an OM mount.

Larry

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vivitar made some nice film SLR lenses in a variety of mounts, presumably including Minolta. I have a 24/2.8 in an OM mount which is as good optically as my Canon FD 24/2.8 and is much nicer to operate, particularly the aperture ring. I've seen a lot of different versions of the Vivs so it's hard to specifically recommend a particular one.

9. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, I only own 1 Minolta mount lens, and it's maybe hardly interesting for you, because it is a Meade Reflex lens, FL = 1000m f11.
    I use it to shoot moon pics, but haven't been using it a lot yet.

C U
    Rafael

10. bogolisk

bogolisk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Komine-made Vivitar Close-Focus 28mm lenses are good.

11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
  12. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Here's the pic, sorry--this is new

Never uploaded a pic before in this forum, so bear with me if this doesn't work either. Sigma Super-Wide II, 24mm f/2.8

Attached Files:

13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Minolta Mount

One of my best Lenses is the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5, - in Minolta mount. Be careful, there are several versions. Mine is the Tokina made, (second version I think). The pic in my "Cat and Squirell" thread were made with it at maybe 70 yards then cropped and downsized to post here. You can see the cat's whiskers. I have other md mount lenses that vary in quality.

14. Leesound

Leesound Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    London
    Dug out the Rokkor MC PG v early 60's 58 1.2 yellowing chunky beast today and by a world of difference such a lovely lovely lens - sharp@1.2, bokeh like Wainwright rendered it, on a GH2 quick easy and works focussing, so 3D, love it - been tempting myself with purchases on Ebay, but after comparing all competition at this length, just beautiful, and a load on Ebay chaepish now! :)
    I'm certainly not a pro, but whatever I shoot on this sticks out a mile as I skim through importing a card, epic IMHO :)