1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Non-Gear Thread: Next Generation Landscapes

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Oct 12, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. JohnHC

JohnHC New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    I took a photo tour with Marc in the Eastern Sierras last winter. Amazing talent, great locations. The workshop was all about getting the image and what to do with it. As you are saying: remarkable images rarely have anything to do with the gear.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Impressive stuff. Good one RT.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Hmm. In certain ways I don't think he's doing anything "new" at all. Reminds me a lot of early 1900's pictorial landscapes. They used similar techniques of color replacement, compositing, and heavy image manipulation, camera movements and other out of the way methods. Personally I like the style, and the idea. But new? nope. Resurgence? I hope so. The dominance of a rigid aesthetic to reality has been going on far too long in landscape photography. HDR was our first steps to get away, now it's just getting easier by the year for all of us to do this type image. Especially as Wacom tablets gets better, editing software becomes more intuitive, and our hands become able to achieve our visions.

Man that sounds pretentious... sorry about that.

5. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmm.... when using a style/set of techniques that's so extreme, the results are going to be pretty hit-and-miss. As in, what's good is really good, and everything else won't be.

That said, I like a few of his shots, but it's like having the same, exotic dish at every meal.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    RT... thanks, yet again, for bringing our attention to interesting articles far and wide! You are so great at doing this! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Oooh, the anti-HDR guys will not like this :D

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm not an anti-HDR guy, but I find these images a bit too "faux". Impressive processing and some great composition, but a bit OTT for my taste.