1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Non-Canon lenses compatable with FD mount

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Sugarman, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Sugarman

Sugarman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Hi everyone.

I must admit that I only recently discovered this wonderful world of rescuing lenses and giving them new life on the Micro 4/3s system. It seems great, and for we cost-concious photographers, a gift from above.

I recently bought and Canon fd 50mm f1.8 and am thrilled with it. I have also borrowed a Canon fd 135mm f2.8 and that is lovely as well.

I came across this thread in flickr:

Flickr: Discussing ONE LENS PER POST!! - Specific lenses, your comments in Micro Four Thirds cameras using alternative & legacy lenses

It seems there is a lot of good glass out there we can take advantage of.

The first listed is a Vivitar 28mm f2 in Canon FD-mount which looks nice and can be found at a reasonable price.

This got me thinking that obviously there was a lot of 3rd party glass made for Canon fd mounts and I am sure that many of those lenses would go nicely on my G1 and save me having to buy other adaptors. I know little about analog photgraphy so I don't have a clue about what older lenses are like nor which ones give better results on Micro 4/3s.

If any of you can recommend good lenses (non-Canon... because I can sort those out myself) that would fit an fd mount I would be pleased for your input.

my thanks in advance

Joe

2. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
  3. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    FD mount is like pentax or nikon nowadays it was very popular. ALL the manufacturer did lenses on FD mount or adaptable to FD mount ( adaptall or TX mount). There are a lot of lenses available. A good hint is to check cash converter or car boot sale as those lenses CANNOT be adapted on anything nowadays except m4/3.

Concerning the 50 1.8 i am as well thrilled about this lens.

4. Sugarman

Sugarman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Many thanks. I have since spent quite a while reading through the accumulated reviews and listing here, all very interesting indeed and most helpful.

Red and Ilia, many thanks.

Ilia, you blog has been most helpful to me.

My thanks

Joe

5. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

Hi Joe,
    There is a lot of good FD glass on ebay Vivitar, Sigma some Tamron, Tokina and Kiron the latter which I have never owned. With Vivitar 'series 1' is the key word ATX with Tokina. Tamron are generally quite good But! be careful about the Adaptall adapters they do fail from time to time then the lens can become quite loose. My experience has been that Sigma's offerings were patchy, very good to mediocre I have a Sigma 28mm macro which is very handy when photographing in undergrowth its razor sharp at f4 and with the crop factor on M4/3 it is very useful. But the 85mm made at the same time was very average.
    Often folks on ebay sell series Series 1 and ATX without realizing the value of premium product. There is always a bit of risk but with a bit of research and persistence its possible to get good lenses on the cheap... Thats my experience anyway.
    Michael

6. Except for the mini-wides, which may be the same 28mm you are referring to, I don't think that Sigma came of age as a lens manufacturer until the modern autofocus era. Agree that Tokinas and Tamron Adaptalls can be very good, as well as some Vivitars.

7. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Luckypenguin you are partially right, Sigma produced lenses with other firms.

Spiratonne, Sun, Raynox are all mainly based on sigma optics. During the 70's it is very hard to retrace who did the lenses as everyone produced or copied them. Y/S mount was developed by Sun , Spiratonne and Sigma ( Sort of very basic Adaptall). We cannot say who invented the optical formula for a given lens but we can say that it was similar to an optical formula found in the sigma catalogue.

Here is some useful information about sigma history :

http://www.sigmauser.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=67

8. Thanks for the link. Prior to the fairly recent EX and APO lenses the only early Sigma branded lenses that I have seen spoken fondly of are the mini-wides. I'm sure there must be a few others of good quality that were produced but none that I have either used or read about.