1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nomad Panohead for Samyang 7.5mm MFT

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by thomash2, Nov 6, 2011.

1. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    Nomad Panohead for Samyang 7.5mm MFT

Pictured below is the operational first version and a rendering of the second version. It will be available for purchase in the middle of November after verification of the second version, which has a smaller footprint, is more compact, and can be used with both camera grip up and down.

It is a lightweight and compact fixed tilt panohead with a rotator at 15 degree increments, marks for 4 and 6 divisions, and has free access to both aperture and focus rings.

Estimated price $150 USD

See link for more details.
    ThomasHuang.net::::Nomad Panohead Samyang 7.5mm MFT

+5 Specs
    Height - 122 mm 4.80"
    Width - 80 mm 3.15"
    Depth - 41 mm 1.61"
    Base Dia. - 38 mm 1.50"
    Weight - 100 g 3.5 oz
    [​IMG]

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Out of interest, how is the 7.5mm Fisheye for Micro Four Thirds mounted on Sony NEX?

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Nick, there is an adapter to mount Micro 4/3 lenses on Sony NEX cameras. But I still don't understand why would anybody do such a thing.

4. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    On a m4/3, the samyang 7.5mm lens gives you a full frame image, which makes it difficult to shoot spherical panoramics on a monopod. You'll need to shoot 6 around very accurately divided, and a nadir and zenith.

If you adapt it to a nex, you get a circular image, and you'll only need 4 around and a nadir.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Interesting, so it's a 'full-frame' circular fisheye on NEX/APS?

6. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    On a nex, its just a partial circle in portrait, the long edges are cropped, but thats fine since photos will be taken in portrait orientation. The FOV is 185 degrees when the hood is shaved. Otherwise, on a m4/3 you'll have to turn the camera to 37 degrees diagonal to get 181 corner to corner.

7. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
  8. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
  9. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
  10. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    Footprints have been reduced to 9 degrees radius, 31mm diameter base.

Newly designed version of the Nomad Panohead for Samyang 7.5mm MFT Fisheye lens is now compatible with all current models of micro 4/3 lenses, including the new Panasonic G3 and GX1, and Olympus OM-D E-M5.
    ThomasHuang.net::::Nomad Panohead Samyang 7.5mm MFT
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Newly designed version for pole panos offset in front of pole footprint for 0 degree footprint, currently being tested.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Updated design for Sony NEX cameras include a cutout for IR sensor.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

New panohead design for Sony NEX cameras. Not for sale. Under long term development.
    ThomasHuang.net::::Nomad Panohead NEX
    npn-v1-p1. npn-v1-d1. npn-v1-d2. npn-v1-d3. npn-v1-d4. npn-v1-b2. npn-v1-b3.

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I think you should probably say "Full Sensor" as Full-frame now usually means a 24mmX36mm Frame, but Full sensor would just mean the entire sensor of what camera or particular sensor size your talking about. Might get confusing to a few people otherwise.
    :smile:

regards

12. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Actually, I tend to use the words "diagonal" and "circular" when describing the type of fisheye lens image circle coverage you get. :)

The Samyang won't be a full diagonal fisheye on APS-C--there is some vignetting, but it will give 180 degree FoV, while on m4/3 it's more like 130 degrees and a diagonal with corner to corner coverage. The trick is on NEX you have to "shave" the lens (I.e., carve away two of the built in hood petals) to get the wider coverage. Luckily for NEX spherical pano geeks, you can remove the petal ring and grind them away off the lens. That trick was a lot more nerve-wracking with the Nikkor 10.5 crop lens on full frame cameras where you had to grind down awfully close to the glass...

13. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    What's the difference between this and using an L-bracket to do panos? Seems like it does basically the same thing.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    not much really, ideally you'd use a short nodal slide for panos to get the front element in line with the center of rotation if you want to stitch multiple exposures...but with a lens that captures so much of the visual image in the frame I can't help but think stitching isn't too difficult.

15. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    ... until you have to take zenith (straight up) and nadir (straight down) shots when doing spherical panos with full 360x180 coverage. :)

An L-bracket with a slide is really only good for rotating in yaw, not for rotating in pitch as well. There's also the fact that a slight angling in pitch can help cover the sphere with only a zenith or a nadir shot required, not both, depending on how wide the lens goes (and fisheyes go very very wide), and an L-bracket is typically designed to be at right angles.

16. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    OK, thanks guys. That's what I wanted to know. I only recently got the Rokinon, so I haven't done any panos with it yet. For now, I'll stick with the L bracket and my 11-22 for my panos, seems to work great for what I want. I may try this later on.