Nomad Panohead for Samyang 7.5mm MFT fisheye lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thomash2, Sep 14, 2012.

1. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
  2. Landy

Landy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2012
    That's awesome! I want it!
  3. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    looks fantastic was thinking about buying the lens now will need to get this to go with it as I love pano photography! :smile: Also loved your site some great photographs there. Will read more on your page and once I get the lens see about ordering one. :2thumbs:
  4. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    The model in this image is an old version. I posted it because it's the only image I've got with a MFT camera, which I had to hire for the day. But you can find images of the updated version on the page in the link.

I use this lens with my Sony NEX camera because of the wider FOV on an APS-C sensor.
  5. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Looks interesting. With the slight upward tilt I see in the orientation of your bracket, I assume you are able to close the zenith hole with enough image overlap, is this correct? Meaning I just have to shoot the nadir shot without the bracket.
  6. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    When I tested it with a rental 4/3 camera and tilted at +2.5 degrees, I usually got no holes, but one time I got a 1-2 degree hole. I've been told by others who have used it that there is a very small hole which is very easy to patch.

For example if you are shooting indoor with a 12' (3.5m) ceiling and your camera is at 5' (1.5m), the hole would be something like 3-5" (8-13cm) in diameter in relation to the ceiling.

A tilt of +4 or +5 will get rid of the zenith hole completely, but the hole in the nadir will grow. I thought +2.5 was a good compromise. Otherwise, 0 tilt would work just as well, with the zenith hole getting a little bit bigger.

The zenith will be a bit soft anyway, so if you're shooting something with enough detail where you can't patch the zenith hole with a clone brush, you'll need to shoot a hand zenith anyway to get it sharp enough.
  7. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    I have this pano head in +2.5 version. I would say that in most cases, unless the zenith is really featureless, you will need to shoot a zenith for proper stitching. This is just my experience with it (on my OM-D), but in this case, I would advise to get the 0 degree version and just shoot both zenith and nadir.
  8. AlexV

AlexV New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2013

I have this panohead (+0) and the OM-D... However I'm still very new at this and I have some troubles getting good results.

Can you tell me how to shoot the zenith and the nadir?

9. thomash2

thomash2 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    Hi Alex,
    Which software are you using to stitch this?

When you shoot at +0, you should rotate the camera diagonally so the 180 diagonal is top to bottom, and then shoot at least 6 shots around.

If you're using PTGui, you have to select full frame fisheye in the settings, with the approximate sensor crop factor 2.0 and focal distance of 7.5mm. The optimizer should be set to heavy correction.

You should then get a fairly good aligned panorama. Then, you should go into the control points menu and make sure that each photo only has control points for the adjacent photo, so for example, photo 3 should only have points with 2 and 4. If it has points with 1 or 5, you should delete them because it will cause problems.

Then, go into each photo pair, and if there aren't any control points near the nadir or zenith, it would be best to generate some points there. If you shift click and drag, you can highlight those areas with a marque box, and then right click and select "generate control points". Once points are populated in those areas, you should press F5 to optimize again. You'll get the "deviation" error average in the popup box. 2.0 or 3.0 is a good number. Then go into the control points menu and select "delete worst control points", and then press F5 again. You should see the error value drop. If there is a high value, you can go into the control points table and sort by the error value, and delete the ones which are greater than 2 or 3. Always press F5 again after changing control points to re-optimize.

Then to get the panorama aligned to the horizon, you should make vertical control point pairs in the photos that have something like a door or window frame, or something you know is vertical. Press F5 again and you should see the panorama leveling out.

With this setup, you'll see a hole in the nadir and zenith. You can hand shoot these shots, getting the camera positioned as close as possible to where you shot around.

After aligning the first 6, add the nadir or zenith shots, and then go into the optimizer menu and deselect all the values except for the new nadir and zenith shots, and also checkmark the boxes labeled "viewpoint correction".

If you go into the image perameters tab, you can enter the aproximate alignment of the nadir and zenith photos and then try to auto generate control points. Usually you'll get some, but if not, you'll have to go to each photo pair and add at least 3 points between the nadir (or zenith) and the other 6 around shots. Press F5 to optimize. Delete the worst points and continue on until you get enough points to get the nadir (or zenith) to line up. Then go into the masking tab and mask out what you don't need from the nadir/zenith patches.

you can find the tutorials on the PTGui website:
    Tutorials - PTGui

Once you have a good panorama, you can save the settings into a template, which you can apply to future panoramas. This will apply the lens perameters, so the auto alignment can make a better first alignment, but you still have to clean up the control points and level it out manually. The viewpoint correction also has to be done manually.
  10. AlexV

AlexV New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2013
    Ok! Now I get it... Thanks, Thomas!

I was shooting vertically... I'm using the trial version of Autopano at the moment but I'll give PTgui a try. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
  11. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    I realy want this, I am going to Stonehenge this fall... Way cool....