Noktor 50mm f0.95 first look by Steve Huff

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by noodlehaus, Mar 2, 2010.

1. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    thanks for sharing noodlehaus.

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    There was a lot of flack going on over at dpreview how c-mount lenses would be just as good and cheaper. But looking at the results on Steve's page, I'm not sure a c-mount lens has that good of quality.

3. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    that Senko lens... in c mount, costs $750 or more
    in cctv internet shops. Having it be native m4/3
    is a bonus.

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Interesting to compare this lens to the CV Nokton 50/1.1. No doubt the CV is sharper and better corrected, but the Noktor goes to f/0.95 and has a more unique character. I wonder how the Noktor performs at f/1.4.

6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

This lens is starting to get very interesting. If it turns out to really be a corker I wonder how well this outfit will be up to meeting what could be some serious demand.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm talking about some of the 25mm C mount lenses. That was the argument over there, at least. But I wonder how good a 100 dollar lens compares to a lens like this. I doubt it does.

Dj

8. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Wild guess: No better than, say, an SMC Takumar 50/1.4. (These cost under $50 in my part of the world.)

collectiblecameras.com has a Canon New FD 50/1.2 in "9++" condition for $279.

9. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Steve Huff's site now has an ongoing diary review for the lens. The lens does seem to be a re-tooled Senko 50mm cctv lens. But being adapter-less, comes with warranty, and cheaper, are big pluses.

10. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    If this lens really kicks off with sales, it may give Voigtlander the push to start making it's own dedicated m4/3 mount lenses.

Lol if either Panasonic or Olympus came out with a Rangefinder body with high quality EVF built in, & Voigtlander started making m4/3 lenses, I personally think Leica would start to worry slightly.

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Is there any advantage of an native m4/3 manual lens like this one, over a Voigtlander M mount lens mounted on a m4/3 camera via adapter? The M to m4/3 adapters are all pretty thin, so they don't add any bulk.

12. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the image circle of a voigtlander lens must cover a full frame sensor, so the glass must be much bigger and the housing must be heavier,
    the m 4\3 sensor is 1\4 the size of full frame no giant image circle to waste, less glass less money less size
    compare the size of a 0.95 lens for the 2 formats ......i think ill go do that presently....

13. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    length of the leica 0.95 50 is 2.95 inches
    length of the noktor 0.95 50 is ? it seems about 1\2 an inch shorter

weight of the leica is 700 g
    weight of the noktor is 480 g

cost of the leica is 10,500 dollars
    cost of the noktor is 750 dollars

i will never own the leica , but i could own the noktor

i think ill keep my konica 57mm 1.2 for now:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for the comparison!

15. walshy

walshy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Bokeh - Ninja

I don't like the bokeh, I think I'd rather spend my hard won wages on a slower more pleasing lens, I suppose there are some who have to have it, not keen on the fluorescent green/yellow makings either...:rolleyes:

The bokeh reminds me of some of my Contax lenses with that 'Ninja Star' effect, this drives me mad and would pigeon hole the lens purely for wide open work ( well why else would you buy it ) :biggrin:

Guy..

Contax 85/1.4 MM Bokeh (an older 'EOS D30' image)

[​IMG]

16. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, the ninja star bokeh is revealed... the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 produces a similar aperture ring pattern - luckily the crazy bokeh is relatively rare, and the lens costs peanuts!

Some examples of Hexanon 40mm f1.8 noisy bokeh (insert alternative words creative/artistic/funky/characteristic as you wish... I'd still rather have smooth and creamy :smile:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

Brian