Nokton users - would a 42.5mm have a place in your bag?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nickthetasmaniac, Aug 24, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    This is mainly a thread for those that either own or would like to own one or both of the Voigtlander Nokton lenses for Micro Four Thirds.

As we all know, the Voigtlander offerings for MFT so far are the 17.5/f0.95 and 25/f0.95, both of which follow a similar design principal - ultra-fast maximum aperture, fully manual operation, very distinct rendering (compared to other MFT primes) high-quality (and large) metal and glass body, close minimum focussing distance, and reasonably high price.

Nokton 17.5mm - $1249USD (BH Photo)
    - f0.95 - f16
    - 540g
    - 63.4x80mm
    - 58mm filter thread
    - 15cm min. focus
    - 10 aperture blades

Nokton 25mm - $1199USD (BH Photo)
    - f0.95 - f16
    - 410g
    - 58x70mm
    - 52mm filter thread
    - 17cm min. focus
    - 10 aperture blades

In my mind, the next obvious lens in the MFT Nokton series would be a portrait-oriented short-telephoto. Going on their existing lenses (as well as the M-mount 50/f1.1) I´d expect something like this...

- 42.5mm (they´ve stuck to the ´classic´ lengths so far, so an 85mm equivalent makes sense)
    - $1200USD
    - f0.95 - f16
    - Manual focus and aperture with no contacts for EXIF info.
    - Clutch for stepless aperture (video).
    - Similar dimensions, weight and filter size as the 17.5mm, probably a little smaller.
    - 1:4 magnification (about 22cm min. focus?)
    - ´Nokton rendering´- reasonably sharp from f0.95-f1.4 with distinct bokeh, a bit of glow and CA and notable vingetting, very sharp from f2-8 with highly-defined starbursts, and a bit of fall off into diffraction territory down to f16.

So, would such a lens have a place in your bag? For the 17.5mm and 25mm Noktons there really wasn´t any alternative (which is probably why Voigtlander released them first), but for a short-tele there´s a whole bunch of adapter options (fast 50mm SLR and M-mount lenses, including several from Voigtlander themselves), plus the excellent native m.ZD 45/f1.8...

Would a 42.5/0.95 tempt new users to the Nokton concept? Would existing owners of the 25mm or 17.5mm add one to get the classic three-prime kit?

I´d love to hear your thoughts :smile:

**NOTE** If ultra-fast, manual lenses simply aren´t your thing then fantastic, but this thread probably isn´t for you :smile:
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

I have the 17.5 and 25, they are my main lenses. If CV goes either direction (UWA or portrait length) I will be buying them. I don't need any tele past short-tele/portrait, so if they come out with anything with too much reach I would pass.
  3. TDP

TDP Guest

There is a particular shop in town that specializes in manual lenses like this, it is where I had to go to get the 17.5. They told me that CV prices are about to go up a bit in the next wave of production. Both my 17.5 and 25 are Japanese imports so they had the Yen price inside the box. The 17.5 would have been about 1450 USD at the current Yen to USD rate when I bought it.
  4. TDP

TDP Guest

I might pick up a Voigtlander 40 1.4 in M mount and get an M to m43 adapter. That would give me an 80 on m43 @ 1.4 using more of the center of the lens (thus greatly reducing edge distortion and vignetting).

At the current exchange rate here the lens is 400 USD and an M-m43 adaptor is 30 dollars.
  5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
  6. TDP

TDP Guest

Hey CapoDave, thanks for the inputs. I might go pick one up tomorrow.
  7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Buy it for me and I'll make room!
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would rather they make a 67.5mm which would be the same angle as a 135mm in FF. I want the 25mm so bad! Currently waiting for the price to get lower{it has already come down some}. I was not impressed with the 17.5mm because I never liked the 35mm in FF. I always found it not wide enough and thus would use a 28mm. For me the 85mm equivalent 42.5mm would be the same the 17.5mm in that it isn't tele enough. If I did a lot more portraiture then I might feel differently.
  9. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    If they're following the frame lines, why not 37.5 (75mm equiv)
    28-35-(40)-50-75-90 :D

It's impressive, but how about a bit slower speed for the portrait ? Maybe f/1~f/1.2
  10. TDP

TDP Guest

They had a second hand one, still in box. Looked new to me, the mount wasn't even scratched which is odd.....

Got it and the hood, a B&W filter and an aftermarket wired remote for the EM5. Great shop...

Untitled by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr
  11. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi Speed Freaks, Just picked up the V Nokton M-mount 50mm f1.1 two days ago, and it is very sweet in the medium tele range. Wish it could focus closer than 1m, but it works well with extensions rings to go close-up. Intend to use it for portraits, flowers, live rock performances in dimly lit venues, and night street photography. Yes, I wish there was fast Nokton 42 in m43 mount but I will stick with the 50m f1.1. I absolutely love my Nokton 25mm, especially its close focus. Open wide and shoot close — add water; magic.
    • Like Like x 1