Nokton 50 F1.1 or Minolta 50 f1.4?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Darell Miller, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Darell Miller

Darell Miller Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2010
    Okay folks I'm pretty new around here and to the EP2. I have the 17mm Pancake and have a Leica Summicron C 40mm f2 on its way, picked up at a good price on eBay. I'm looking to add a fast 50mm for low light work, as well as portrait, and urban/street photography. I can get my hands on a nearly new (5 months old) Nokton f1.1 for about £600 or I can pick up a very cheap Minolta for about £60 - £75. If I really get into photography then I would look to move to a Leica body so the Nokton may make more long term sense but the Minolta does seem very cheap though I cant find many users out there with it or images taken on the EP2.

Your help and advice is very much appreciated.

Darell

"A good plan violently executed today is far better than a perfect plan tomorrow"

2. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Just my humble opinion but if you've got a 40mm why bother with a 50mm the two are very close and the extra 10mm isn't worth the extra dollars for an f-stop. I'd look for something in the 75-90mm range. Maybe an FD Canon 85/1.8 or similar.

Cheers

3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Do you have an M-Mount camera for the Nokton? Much of the cost is for that RF cam and mechanism.

Get a 50/1.2 Nikkor.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    remember all the field of views double with 4/3 cameras... so that 40mm looks like a 80mm - the classic portrait lens -

50mm is a 100mm which isn't really a good focal length for street - think you have that covered with the 17mm.

I would look at 28mm lenses which with the doubling will give you closer to a 50mm/normal FOV

My fave is a Olympus OM 24/2, but there are other alternatives

check out my set of pics on flickr of legacy lenses from 24 through to 135mm to maybe help you narrow down your choices

Legacy lenses - a set on Flickr

K

5. e-pl1

e-pl1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    We could discuss about "classic portrait lens"...

For me the classic portrait lens is 105mm... (I have 50mm lens on my e-pl1)

6. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    lets not niggle... there has to be a reason why every full frame system had a 85mm lens :)

lets agree that the 85mm was one of the classic portrait lenses

K

7. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Exactly! With the 17mm your covered for the medium/wide and with the 40mm you've got the classic portrait lens. So a 24-28mm range would fit nicely in your system and a 75-105mm would give you a nice medium telephoto.

8. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I tend to keep a Nikkor 5cm F1.4 in LTM on my EP2. It is a perfect focal length for portraits and indoor sports shots at closer range. The EP2 gives a real chance to use the 18" minimum focus with the lens, most RF's cannot keep up with it. I also use a Nikkor 8.5cm F2 with the EP2, for longer stand-off.

In the Nikon line-up, the 105mm focal length displaced the 85mm lens as the favorite among portrait photographers. I have a few 105's as well. On the EP2 it has the same magnification, ~4x, as the 200mm lens on my SLR's. I have not tried it yet. I have the Nikkor 85/2's, one in each mount- S-Mount, Leica mount, Contax mount, and F-Mount. I have the 105 in S-Mount, Leica Mount, and F-Mount. I can use all of them with the EP2.

If you want speed, F1.4 usually cuts it. F1.2 is very small DOF, and I found focusing was too difficult on the EP2. I will probably try it again. I have no problem using a 50/1.2 on the M8. Once I get the C-Mount to 4/3rds, I'll try out the Canon 50/0.95. I have the Canon 7 mount to C-Mount adapter on one of them.

With the Nikkor 5cm F1.4, Leica Mount, wide-open. ISO 3200 and 1600, respectively. It was relatively dark in the skating rink. Shutter speed ~160th second for the skating shot. "Subject moved during exposure, rather quickly".

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I should add, with all that stated, I plan on getting the Nokton for my M-Mount cameras.

10. Darell Miller

Jun 14, 2010
    Folks thanks so much for all your advice. I'm looking at a 50mm as it will give the longer reach on the EP2 and because if I move to a Leica RF body then I have one of the classic lens lengths. I bought the 40mm as it is the cheapest way to try out a Summicron and gives me a semi fast portrait lens. I would also like to have a low light lens so I can shoot indoors and night.

Kevin and Jeff you are right that a 24 to 28 would give me an equivalent to 50 on the EP2 and also a wide angle if I move up to the RF body which would be very useful but I'm not sure I've come across a fast glass 24 - 28 lens, not surprising as that isn't the point of a wide angle lens! As always in life it seems to come down to a compromise and budget limits. I'll check out your legacy lens set though Kevin, thanks for the link.

Brian the Nikkor 1.4 is an LTM mount? Are you using an LTM to M to micro 4/3 adaptor setup? Seems a lot of adaptors if that is the case though it doesn't look like it affects your images one bit.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has used either of the lenses especially the Nokton f1.1 as I would like to know how the size and weight work with a four thirds body. Once I settle on a decision I'll let you all know and post some pics.

Thanks again for your time and help. This really is one often most supportive forums I've come across.

Darell

If you don't mind it doesn't matter

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Not used the Nokton... no need really when my partner has a noctilux she lets me use :)

more noctilux shots in the link i posted earlier

[​IMG]

12. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I am using Leitz LTM adapter with the u4/3 to M-Mount adapter. It works well. The LTM to M-Mount adapters simply bayonet in, and provide a thread mount. That is the way to go, rather than a dedicated 39mm to u4/3rds.

The 5cm F1.4 LTM gives some real heft to the setup as well, and is well balanced. The advantage of the Leica mount lenses on the EP2 is the size. The setup is much smaller than using a 50/1.4 SLR lens.

On the Noctilux, that would be much lighter than my Canon on the u4/3rds, but very expensive unless you use an M-Mount camera. The Canon lens alone is about as heavy as a Nikon S2 with a 5cm F1.1 on it. My Canon was $200 with the C-Mount adapter, a lucky buy-it-now over lunchtime. The other 50/0.95 with a Canon 7 on it was not much more. Those days are gone. The Canon 50/0.95 is very heavy, uses 72, filters.

Brian

13. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    why so?
    (just in case I ever happen upon a nice Leica lens at a boot sale for 50p}

14. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I have M-Mount lenses and Leica Thread Mount lenses. I have several LTM adapters for using the thread mount with the M-Mount already. So I bought the M-Mount to u4/3rds to use all of the lenses.

M-Mount was introduced in 1954, but was covered by patent. Many Thread Mount lenses and cameras continued on for years. All can be used with M-Mount cameras with a simple adapter.

I have stumbled across Leica cameras with lenses for $15 each at antique stores before.

[​IMG]

15. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    ah ha! Sorry I hadn't picked up properly that you were thinking of folk like yourself and Mr. Miller who have a variety of cameras rather than johnny-come-latelys like myself who only have a Pen!
    I had incorrectly inferred you thought LTM-m4/3 and M-m4/3 adapters not worth buying individually.

thanks for clarifying

16. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
  17. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I should start a thread for those looking for "dead-end lens mounts that can be adapted for u4/3rds". The Leica mount lenses have jumped in price in the last few years, with the introduction of the M8 and M9. Other brands were lower-cost, but even have picked up with 4/3 and u4/3. Canon FD and FL mount lenses were dirt cheap.

For fast lenses, high-quality, low-cost- The Canon FL and FD mount, Minolta MC and MD, Konica autoreflex mount, and others are worth studying. I've got a 1976 Pop Photo lens test of 32 normal lenses that is a great resource. The Canon 50/1.4 outperformed the Nikon 50/1.4, as an example. The Canon 50/1.4 SSC is a fantastic lens, not too heavy. The Nikkor 55/1.2 outperformed the other lenses in its category over the center 2/3rds of the image, with the exception of the center-performance of the aspherical 50/1.2 Noctilux. My 55/1.2 Nikkor was 3% of the cost of the Noctilux.

18. Psurfer

Psurfer New to Mu-43

Jul 3, 2010
    Of the ultra-fast Minolta glass in the 50 range, the great one is the 58/1.2 MC Rokkor-X.
    Nicest bokeh of the SLR lenses, and can be quite sharp by f/2 (and if you have money to burn, the NOCT Nikkor 1.2 is supposed to be awful nice...)

Brian S, I wish you'd scan that article and post it.

19. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I have them scanned and on disk. I will upload them. Included in the test is the 50/1.2 Noctilux. The performance is interesting, not all regions were equally sharp.

20. Darell Miller

Jun 14, 2010
    @pdh Some confusion here. I don't have a Leica just hope to get one if photography really turns out to be my thing. I'm enjoying it so far, studying, making mistakes learning and hopefully improving slowly;-)