Nokton 40mm f1.4 vs Nokton 35mm f1.4 -- is it worth the $140+ difference?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by noodlehaus, Mar 10, 2010.

1. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    The 35mm f1.4 is $140+ more expensive than the 40mm f1.4. Both can either be SC or MC. What i'm wondering about is if the 5mm difference in focal length and few degrees of FoV difference worth the price difference. Or is there also a big difference between the two in terms of contrast, sharpness and clarity?

The seller himself suggests just getting the 40mm f1.4, and if I want the FoV of the 35mm, just take 2 steps back :D

Would really appreciate your opinion and experiences with these two. Thanks!
  2. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
  3. fortytwenty

fortytwenty Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    ten centimetres!

I got the 35mm S.C for my GF1 as a walkaround lens for a recent trip to Paris.

<a href="" title="NOKTON by fortytwenty, on Flickr"> 4371170988_8d21e01ef6_m. "240" height="240" alt="NOKTON" /></a>

I really liked it, and when fitted to the GF1 it is still a (jacket) pocket sized combination which was great for daytime shooting of "the sights" but also fast enough to use in the evening too.

I have not used the 40mm so cannot comment other than that I went with the 35 as I already have a 50 and so it seemed like that was where the gap was.

I think another reason was that the specs said that the 35mm focussed down to 0.6m whereas the 40mm has a closest focussing distance of 0.7m. Only 10cm, but it felt important at the time!

Also, I don't think the price differential is as great in the UK, though I may be wrong.

Feel free to look at my CV 35mm images here:
    • Like Like x 1