Nokton 25mm question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fmiller, Feb 20, 2013.

1. fmiller

fmiller New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2013

I think I already know the answer to this, but does the 25mm f/0.95 allow full-aperture focusing at smaller apertures?

That is - does the finder get darker as you stop down, or does the lens maintain the full 0.95 aperture until the shutter is pressed (like an SLR lens)

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    It gets darker as you stop down. There's no electrical contacts on the lens to allow it to stay open when focusing.

Newer ยต4/3 cameras deal with the lower light from stopping down better than older ones. The E-M5 does it much better than my old E-P2 for example. Also- there's also the focal distance on the lens to help out.
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    No - it is completely manual and does not allow stop-down focussing/metering. If you look down the lens barrel and move the aperture ring you can see the blades contract and open.

The bodies I've used mine on (GH2, EM5, EPL2) automatically adjust for this (when in aperture priority anyway) so that the EVF/LCD always shows correct exposure information.

It's actually pretty odd going from the Nokton back to a fully-automatic lens that doesn't stop-down till the photo is taken...