Nokton 25mm f.95 w/ smaller hood

mister_roboto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dennis
Thought I'd share for any other Nokton 25mm owners who have bag space issues:

So a few months ago, I decided to let all of the glass be free and natural without having any unnecessary UV filters etc on my lenses (not that there's anything wrong with that if you're in that camp), and put capped lens hoods on everything.

The one really annoying lens- the CV Nokton 25mm, the hood it's supplied with is a wide angle sized hood... and my bag is kind of filled to max space capacity, and I couldn't make room for it with a hood, and of all of the lenses I have- it's the one that benefits from a hood the most in most situations. So I tired sticking one of these, a plain noraml 52mm metal lens hood, that just uses a 58mm cap on the end. I stuck it on and was pleasantly surprised that there was no vignetting at all (well... aside from the lenses natural mega wide open vignette:wink:), it works just as fine as the one supplied with the lens, at least in the shooting situations I've tried since switching to it. So it gave me those extra few millimeters I needed to get that lens in my bag. :thumbup:

Which does make wonder why the Voigtlander hood that's supplied is so big. I assume there's probably a reason, I just haven't discovered it with a "oh... yeah, that's why" revelation yet.

Joe Billingham

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
jore
Which does make wonder why the Voigtlander hood that's supplied is so big. I assume there's probably a reason, I just haven't discovered it with a "oh... yeah, that's why" revelation yet.

Maybe the manufacturer uses the same hood for more than one model of lens and thus it is not optimized for the 25mm. Canon certainly does it, supplying the same hood for several focal lengths and thereby saving on tooling and stocking.

Latest threads

Top Bottom