Nokton 17.5mm and/or Nokton 25mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 8, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    This is more a question for those who already have the CV Nokton 25mm...

If you are planning to get the new 17.5mm (assuming that it has similar build quality and optical performance as the 25mm), do you think you'd use it as well as your 25mm, or instead of?

I've used 35mm lenses on film and loved the field of view, and I'm loving the 25mm on my GH2, but I'm not sure that I'd use both *if* I had both in my bag... Do you think that they're complimentary lenses, or either/or?

Penny for your thoughts :smile:
  2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Are you saying cosina is making a 17.5mm in native µ4/3 mount?
    Post some links please!
  3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I have the 25mm f0.95 but I don't think I'll get this. I'm sure it will be an excellent lens but to me it seems a bit overkill having both. It is a bit expensive to own both. Also, they are quite heavy. Definitely won't be carrying both on vacations. If I'm going on vacation I would bring this and some auto lens.
  4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

ok, So having to do research on my own, i seen the specs on it and have determined, Wow.. Too friggin expensive.
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12mm maybe ... AF yes. I have 25mm & 17mm F0.95 in cmount and don't really see the need except is very specialized cases. In some very narrow specialiaed cases I could see using the 17.5 but not for general purpose photography.
  6. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Just announced :smile:

General stats:

Mount: MFT
    Focal Length: 17.5mm
    Aperture: f0.95 - f16
    Min Focussing/magnification: 15cm/1:4
    Filter Size: 58mm (Nokton 25mm was 52mm)
    Dimensions: 80 x 63.4mm
    Weight: 540g

Interestingly, the lens appears to have some kind of clutch mechanism for the aperture ring, so it can be either stepped (for still photography) or stepless (for video).

Mainline Photographics (the Australian distributor for Voigtlander) is taking pre-orders for May 2012 with an estimated price of $1095AUD.

Cosina announces Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 lens for Micro Four Thirds: Digital Photography Review

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would love to pick up a Nokton 25mm but I have NO intentions of getting the 17.5mm. I never liked the 35mm lens in FF , too wide to be a normal but never wide enough when I needed a wide. I much preferred my 24mm and my 50mm and leave the 35mm at home. Now if they make a 12mm then maybe.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    a 25mm f/.95 and 17.5mm f/.95 duo? sounds cool. :biggrin:
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you have a 14-42mm (or other midrange lens like the 14-140 or 14-45, etc), put it on your camera and zoom to 25mm and take a photo. Now without moving, zoom to 17.5mm, and take another photo. Now, zoom your lens back to 25mm, and step backwards until you can fit in the same framing, left to right. You'll notice a small perspective shift compared to the 17.5mm photo, but that you can take the same photo within 2 steps forwards or backwards. So, having a 17mm and 25mm lens does seem a bit redundant. I know many film shooters that forewent the 50mm lens, and would just go out with a 24mm/35mm/85mm lens. The thing you learn with prime lenses is that you shoot what you have.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I have the 25mm, and I won't be getting this. Mainly because it's not wide enough compared to the 25mm- just a little too close in FOV for me. Although if I didn't already own the 25mm, I might have gone for this instead- I like the 35mm FOV.

Oh yeah, and shelling out the bucks to have a 2nd f/.95 lens wouldn't help my wallet. I love the 25mm, and use it about 80-90% of the time... but I still have a slight buyers remorse about it because it was so expensive- even though I do love it and am glad I got it.
  11. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I was actually pondering that. At the moment the lenses I usually have in my bag are the Nokton 25mm and my SMC 50/f1.2 (or f1.4). I like the two lens kit, and find that if I have a third lens I rarely use it. My only complaint is that the 25mm is slightly too compressed for many 'normal' perspective shots, but then I'm not a huge fan of wide-angles (my Lumix 14mm hardly ever gets used...).

I'm tempted by this but I think that if I got it I would probably have to sell the 25mm. Unfortunately I don't have any standard zooms to 'test' the 17mm length...
  12. blacvios

blacvios Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2010
    I am currently using the 25mm and its glued to my GH-2. Will probably get the 17.5mm and stick it to a olympus body (EP-2,3 or EM-5)
  13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, you could always buy one off of this forum, in the buy/sell section. Given the number of them, I ended up buying a new version, unopened Panasonic 14-42mm OIS, with front cap, rear cap, lens hood for $120 shipped. I keep it around for when I'm walking around in daylight, or handing my camera to a friend/girlfriend/family member, and I don't have to worry about them dealing with MF. If you don't like it, or got your use out of it and decide you don't need it any more, sell it for $90 shipped, and you'll sell it immediately. A $40 lesson is much cheaper than a $1,200 lesson!
  14. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I don't have any because I've already sold several :smile: I just have no use for them...
  15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Why the hell cant they make a Cheep 2.0 alternative. Something faster than the Zuikos but Cheaper because they are manual.

And why the hell make a different filter ring size? they really should have tried to keep ti the same. That or they should increase the size of the new 25mm's they produce to match
  16. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So accusatory and angry, don't take their product decisions so personally! You could make the same arguments about Leica, but it is what it is. Also, if they made it slower, then when the m4/3 roadmap finally starts expanding their roadmap (like with the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4) then they would find themselves outclassed in the marketplace. Who would buy a manual focus 25mm f/2.0 for $600 when the PL 25mm exists for the same price? This way, Voigtlander can appeal to multiple potential buyers: those that want manual control, those that want an ultrafast lens, etc.

They weren't able to make the lens as small as the 25mm, because the 25mm is very close to a normal lens. To make a lens with a focal distance of 17.5mm, which is shorter than the register distance of our cameras, they most likely had to use a retrofocus design. If you look at many of the higher-end wide lenses from ANY company, you will see that they are often much larger and more expensive than the normal lens. For example:
    Nikon 50mm f/1.4 vs. Nikon 35mm f/1.4
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 vs. Canon 35mm f/1.4
    You will find that the 35mm lenses are much larger and heavier than their normal brethren.

Read these links about lens design: - Lens Genealogy Part 1 - Lens Genealogy – Part 2
  17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Naaa, not really angry. Just Slightly frustrated, and mostly joking. :wink: Never take things people say on the interweb too seriously.
    I agree with this part of your reply, which is why I said cheaper but slower than theirs but faster than the Zuikos. Look back and re-read my 1st sentence. Notice I never said or implied for them to make the exact same lens for the exact same price as something already out there. That would make no sense and be a ridiculous statement to make. I am truly sorry if you were confused and interpreted it that way. I hope the color coding helps me come across more clearly. I mentioned the Zuikos thinking mainly about the 17mm 2.8 Zuiko lens, since I believe that the "Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4" lens is not a Zuiko lens. I hope I'm right about that.
    No, sorry I did not find that to be true for me. My 35mm lens for my type 135 film camera has the same filter size as my 50mm lens and is not much different in size and weight with same fast max Aperture.
    Thank you for these links; the information was very nostalgic. It reminded me of my Engineering Physics classes. Some of it was exactly what i would find in my "Physics of Light and Optics" text Book, and made me pull my copy off the shelf to look at again. I have a degree in Mechanical engineering so I am far from a stranger when it comes to optics.
  18. drbuckyballs

drbuckyballs New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2013
    Bought the GH3 Kit with 12-35 f2.8 Lumix lens. What's another lens that would complement this kit? I've been looking at Nokton but presumably there is an overlap and i should be getting something else? I do video and stills.
  19. TDP

TDP Guest

I have both the 25 and 17.5 CV lenses. I like the 25 better. They are both built like tanks and take great photos. The 17.5 has the option to have the f-stop indexed or smooth making it a better option for video perhaps (no clicking noise)
  20. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Althogh I have neither lens, I tend to really like the images I see from the 17.5 more than the 25mm. I think that's partly because the 17.5 seems more useable wide open, regarding sharpness. It really gives m4/3 shots that full frame look with its 35mm f1.9 equivalent DoF.