Nokia's 'Mirrorless' Camera Pureview Beats An EPL2

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by G.Sal, Jun 21, 2012.

1. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Here's something to kill time. :biggrin:

Nokia 808 PureView beats all in GSM Arena’s blind camera test by huge margin of votes
    June 18, 2012

By a huge margin of votes, the Nokia 808 PureView wins. GSM Arena previously stated that some people found it difficult to distinguish between the Nokia 808 PureView smartphone and the micro-four-thirds, Olympus.

Now in this test, the blind nature means people were choosing the best picture, as opposed to merely voting for their favourite phone out of bias. Without knowing what camera took what picture (for definite) people were choosing based on which camera performed the best and produced the best photo for them. Thus the voting is not like all the other times we might have asked to to go vote for a Nokia, just because it’s Nokia. This was voted based on quality and performance – no ties to any brand.

A. Nokia N8
    B. Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III
    C. HTC One X
    D. Apple iPhone 4S
    E. Nokia 808 PureView
    F. Olympus PEN E-PL2

The numbers are quite clear - Nokia has really managed to create something special with the 808 PureView. Matching the Micro Four Thirds camera in terms of image quality would have been impressive enough, but beating it is simply stunning. We did expect the Nokia 808 PureView to trump its smartphone competition quite easily, but the fact that it was voted best performer by more than twice the number of people that chose the E-PL2 was a bit surprising even to us.

Here's the full article:
    Nokia 808 PureView blind test: The sum of all pixels -
  2. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I think the E-PL2 renders the image better than the PureView. I think it is sharper and more contrasty.
  3. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I have a hard time believing people couldn't tell the difference or preferred the 808 quality more. The epl2 photo looks much better.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I wouldn't say it is necessarily better than the E-PL2, but it is incredibly impressive and easily surpasses any other phone camera out there.
  5. trelch

trelch Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    lol... they placed image A and image F far apart... if they are next to each other, the results would have been different, and quite obvious. Having said that... i used a Nokia to take all my overseas pictures when i dropped my camera few years ago.. the pictures turn out quite well.
  6. dspratomo

dspratomo New to Mu-43

May 10, 2012
    On the first glance I also picked E, however a closer inspection showed F provide a sharper and more detailed image.
  7. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    That is all well and good, but how about low-light situations? High contrast situations? Portraits? Long-exposures? Using that old Minolta MD 58mm...
    I could go on, but you get the idea.

This is silly marketing puff.
    Sure it has a "48 megapixel sensor" and some people at a conference think that the phone picture is better than that taken with the PEN (which is plainly sharper in that tiny crop and with better colour and contrast) but that means nothing. It is still merely a camera in a phone and always will be.

Part of the problem here is that they made that statement/comparison deliberately to wind people up to make comment and promote the phone, which is exactly what we are now doing.
  8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I've seen some shots from it in low light. It's actually quite good. To be honest though, I picked the E-PL2 as the best of the bunch when I ran through this test. But it was a near thing.

If I could get a N808, I would. But Nokia has boycotted NA.
  9. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    The Philippines remains to be a Nokia country. Would have wanted one and skipped a XZ-1 or LX5 as a secondary camera but will wait for it to come on a Windows phone.

It's available in the US via Amazon. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    All I can say is that this 'comparison' is all a load of bull. Let's see how well any of those other 'cameras' manage a portrait, or a macro, or an event such as a wedding or a kid's birthday party.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    All I can say is I picked the Olympus picture before I looked at which was which.

I can only think that a large portion of the general public can't actually tell which is best and which isn't due to a lack of knowledge.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The big viewer like-ability difference probably came down to the E-PL2 white balance being so far off from the rest.
  13. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Wow people, so much animosity. This was a blind test, and most people thought the 808 won. That's all. I'm in fact surprised it won by such a margin solely because the colors were so unappealing. In terms of detail, the pureview ver CLEARLY wins over the E-PL2.

This is not a lens test. Did you guys even check the full res(all downsampled to 8mp if necessary) images from the original test? The Pureview simply shows a ton more detail. It shows "per-pixel" detail, which no interchangeable lens cameras except for those without a bayer filter( like the Sigma SD1 and Leica Monochrome) can actually do unless downsamples. The Nokia doesn't do this at full resolution either, but since it automaticall downsamples to 5MP or 8MP at default settings, it's going to show a lot more detail than a 12MP sensor downsampled to 8mp.

On nowhere on the site does it say that the 808 is a better camera. But it did win this blindtest and that it could win under any conditions at all is remarkable.

As for ISO performance, the Pureview actually performes quite well up to iso 800. Comparable to the M4/3 12mp sensors, from what I've seen. The reason for this is despite the smaller size(almost Nikon 1 size), it has so many more megapixels that when noise reduction is applied and the image is downsampled to the equivalent resolution for M4/3(12MP), it ends up showing more detail. Same as what happens with the Nikon D800.

Look at this image, for example, to give you an idea of the detail this camera gets.

All sizes | Portrait - Nokia 808 PureView | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Am I going to switch to a pureview? No way, have no intention. But I won't deny the camera's prowess where it has it!
  14. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Also, here is an iso 800 shot. I, quite frankly, am pretty fascinated by the tech here. It's obviously not as sharp anymore, but this photo is also backfocused(the focus is on the sign behind the car). It shows impressive sharpness there even at this iso. Now if only it shot RAW haha.

Nokia PureView NightShot by Sea-Breezee, on Flickr
  15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Interesting test..personally I thought the Samsung wasn't too bad (nice colors imo) but the EPL looked the best to me. I wonder if you will see this sensor tech trickle down to other phones (or cameras :eek:)
  16. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    So they got random people who have got NO knowledge on photography to judge... That makes this as accurate as asking a 5 year old "what is the best jet fighter in your opinion?"
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's an impressive sensor, that's certain. But I for one can't really judge the merits of the unit as a camera based on a few low res shots. The full res sample does make me very optimistic about the quality of future smartphone cameras - because lets face it, I'm not buying a Nokia just for the camera sensor. Android or iOS for me.
  18. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Low-Light Test

Flash Test

No Flash Test

High ISO Test

If, after reading this article, you thought that Olympus and Canon should start trembling with fear, you are wrong. Image quality is one thing, but cameraphones lack the versatility of the larger sensor cameras with interchangeable optics, so DSLRs and EVILs won't be replaced any time soon.

Nor was that Nokia's idea when designing the 808 PureView. The 41 megapixel sensor was set to annihilate smartphone competition and hopefully steal some users from the casual point and shoot camera market. That's why its low-light performance is so important - casual photographers are quite likely to be taking photos at a disco or at dinner table in a restaurant, where lighting is far from perfect.

Fortunately, the Nokia 808 PureView rose to the challenge and put up a performance closer to that of its MFT and APS-C competitors (again we are only talking image quality here) than to its smartphone rival. The huge leap forward for the cameraphone world is complete. Now let's hope this is just the first of many more PureView cameraphones to come.

Nokia 808 PureView in low-light: From dusk till dawn -
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I showed my wife the OP crops without saying which was which and asked her which one looked the best. She said "Duhhhh [as in, you dummy, it's obvious] this one" and pointed to the E-PL2 crop. That was pretty much my reaction too - E-PL2 crop way nicer looking than the rest.
  20. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Let me get this straight...

Nokia Pureview is "E", right?

And E-PL2 is "F", correct?

And there was actually a single individual giving "E" the thumbs up??

Where they show them to? Blind people?? :confused: Is this why it's called a "blind test"?

Sorry for being sarcastic, but I can't help it, really... From this particular example, sorry, no, close but definitely no cigar.

Have to admit that the night shot with the car look really cool though. And I truthfully expect great things from the technologies employed, just not yet.