Nokia N8 anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Rawfa, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    At the present moment there is no other cellphone with a camera that as sensor this's about the size of the sensor on the Canon S90. I was super enthusiastic about buying it....but then I've started reading the reviews regarding the N8's performance as a cell appears that although it's not a bad cellphone it cannot really compete with the likes of the Iphone, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy and so on. I've downloaded some photo samples and I was VERY surprise with the high quality. You can easily use this phone as a compact camera...but I don't want a phone that is good with pictures and bad with everything else. On the other hand all the other high end phones are very good as smartphones but cannot really compete with the N8 picture wise (dynamic range, high iso, shutte lag). Does anyone actually have this cellphone here? Please share your thoughts.
  2. Conqueror

Conqueror Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
  3. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    I've been lucky enough to have one of these for about a month now (was given one at the nokia developer summit), any specific questions? I could write all day on it but don't have the time... (answers might have to wait till next week as i'm away)

For background, I'm based in Europe (very different cellphone market to the US) which will affect things price wise, availability and so on. But happy to answer questions compared to other devices. I don't own an iPhone, though I do have an ipad and iTouch and have used iphones. I've an android device (sony X10), have used others, and have had a variety of nokia etc smartphones. (i blog about mobile tech online...) I'm fortunate to be able to choose pretty much whatever mobile device I want, so I'd hope I could present an unbiased opinion. I will say however - what's right for me isn't right for everyone, and I appreciate that.

Though I will say direct comparisons with the above are a bit misleading - an N8 can be had for £330, whereas a 16gb iphone is £490 (convert to local currency as appropriate). And it's only £20 to add another 16Gb to the N8. US readers: saying "but an iphone's only $200", you're wrong. That's just the upfront cost, they bury the rest in your contract.

I will say one thing though - i like my X10, but it's been gathering dust since I got the N8. The X10's probably a better "pocket computer" but the N8's a better phone. A lot of reviews miss the point a bit with this, but the whole thing's designed to be used one handed - compared to iPhones and Android's that generally aren't. This is quite a handy thing in a mobile device.

Some test shots I took a couple days after I got the device:
    N8-testing - a set on Flickr
  4. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    Many thanks for the report.
    To be honest there are a couple of things that makes me a bit iffy about this phone.

1 - The Symbian OS. In a world where Android seems to be the future I have my doubts about investing on a phone that uses an OS that most companies are dropping (Sony and Samsung both stated that they will no longer use Symbian).

2 - Processor. Most high end smartphones today have over 500mb of ram and at least 1ghz of cpu (there is talk that Samsung and Motorola will be releasing a cell phone with a 2ghz cpu and 1gb ram until the end of the year). The N8 has even less memory than my Samsung Jet. From videos I´ve seen on the internet the N8 seems a bit on the slow side.

I don´t change cell phones all the time, so I´m looking for a "future proof" cell phone. It is no surprise that smartphones are becoming small portable computers and I don´t want to invest in Betamax or HD DVD when the market is clearly going a different direction.

The N8 IS a phone that I REALLY wanted to like. It has some VERY strong point in areas that count a lot for me (excellent camera for still and video, hdmi out, usb on the go, resistant lcd), but it also has some weak points that are keeping me from buying it (slow, potentially obsolete OS, file size limitation for video playback). To be honest, if it weren´t for the camera I really would not even be considering this phone.

I guess I will wait some more to see what the competition has to offer.
  5. Conqueror

Conqueror Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    I dont think Symbian is a weak point. It is a very powerful OS and so is the Qt developement platform. All it might lack vs Android is eye candy? No big deal.

Qt (framework) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The hardware on the N8 is top notch, camera, Class 33 (Galaxy S is 12) Data see this comparision link

Nokia N8 vs. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S -

Its Cpu doesn't need necessary to be as high in Mghz - it has a dedicated GPU and is running a different OS. Besides CPUs have different architectures - the old AMD Mghz vs Intel Mghz

Why AMD-MHz don't equal Intel-MHz

Nokia have already patched the browser, and opera is available as an alternative...

I should be a salesman for them haha, I dont even own this phone and have never used it, but to me it looks cracking
  6. Conqueror

Conqueror Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    New browser

The upcoming Nokia web browser gets demoed on the Nokia N8 - news

Nokia reveals new plans for SW development, publishes Q3 results - news