1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nokia Lumia 1020--my experiences and examples.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by dagaleaa, Aug 28, 2013.

1. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I recently acquired this cell phone. I have had it for a week, and I am really enjoying it. I am new to Nokia, and I am new to the windows platform. I have been loyal to Samsung phones and the android platform....until now! I feel I will be a true Nokian soon. I will share some photos, but please know these are only snapshots. I really have not had the time or opportunity to really use the camera yet or learn all the settings, etc.. I am taking a vacation in several days for two weeks and I will have plenty of time and opportunities to really learn the camera in this phone, and I am so excited to do so. I find the windows system very fast....very easy...and very clean to work with. I am not much of an app person, and have not been put off by there being less apps to chose from. As most people say the most important are there, and I am finding work-arounds for any that are not. I also use an android tablet which gives me all the apps I want or need as well. These photos were taken on a boat....on automatic settings in very bright sunny conditions. I was more afraid of having my new phone in this setting so I was very cautious...snapping off random snapshots and then putting it away in a waterproof bag!! I can try and answer any questions, and I will be sharing photos when I can for better examples.

Nokia 1020 photo examples - a set on Flickr

2. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
  3. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Thanks for doing this. I'll have to check out the video after work - I'm eager to see that and appreciate your uploading.

4. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I might have to start holding back my general scorn for mobile phone cameras.

Look at this, bright sunlight, dark dog fur and still holding white cloud details:
    WP_20130824_15_45_34_Pro | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That's *very* impressive, thanks!

5. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Having used a Lumia 900 for a while now, and windows phone almost since it's inception (WP7, that is), I'm happy to see Nokia gain another user. Their windows phone, in my opinion, are some of the best smartphones ever made.

7. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    The sky looks good in these shots.

I like the DOF in this one, and the detail in the dog's eye is great.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36218656@N05/9612999629/" title="WP_20130824_16_03_44_Pro by dagaleaa, on Flickr"> 9612999629_6b7fbd4fe8_c. "800" height="450" alt="WP_20130824_16_03_44_Pro"></a>

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I've had the cheap lumia 521 (t-mobile prepaid), while it doesn't have a good camera I'll chime in to say that the windows phone experience has been top notch. Sure, the market isn't as big as android or even anywhere close to itunes, but the interface more than makes up for it. It is clear Microsoft focused on the experience they could provide, rather than focusing on a platform for outside applications. There are still quite a few apps anyway though, and the live tile interface is really nice to use, as well as being simple and nowhere near a battery hog like android can be (I've been going all day with the same use as my previous android phone and using about 25% of the power that my android would...which is still amazing me!).

9. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    There's an advertisement/editorial section on the National Geographic website where a pro photographer is traveling the U.S. west with just two Nokia 1020s. Obviously he's a talented and experienced photographer, but the camera is holding it's own.

Maybe more impressive is the video. This is all shot with a phone.
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PJV_zTy_1x4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    thanks for sharing this.....really interesting! I really do like this phone! I start my vacation today....By Sunday I will be on the Blue Ridge Parkway and I think I will feel like this photographer!!

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Wow Looks good :D

12. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Amazing. I think I'll need to give Window Phone a try soon.

13. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yeah ditch a few lenses and get this :biggrin: Upon checking prices of open line phones damn!! It's quite expensive :frown:

14. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Even on contract it's $300, yikes.

15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Am I the only one to think that technical image quality in some of the shots is not exactly awe-inspiring? For example, this shot (warning, huge 31MP file) is simply not sharp at all. And noisy as hell. Maybe I shouldn't expect smooth and pin-sharp images from a 2/3" sensor crammed with 41MP, but Nokia 808 produced very sharp shots at its full resolution.

16. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    Yes...it is expensive. AT&T matched Walmart's price of $249 for me, and then I traded in my older Samsung and got $65.00 towards the price too. So...in reality it cost me the same as an I-phone or Samsung with the same amount of memory.