Nokia/EOS Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by rusteel, Apr 16, 2013.

1. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I think this is great. Operating systems on the flagship phones are fairly even right now, so it's time to start upping the ante on capabilities to stay competitive.

I'm due for a phone upgrade in six months or so. By then this will be out, Sony is rumored to have an Xperia Cyber-shot model with higher end lens/sensor, and Google is supposedly working with Nikon on the next Nexus.
  2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Had a Nokia N85 once upon a time. Bought it because with the Carl Zeiss Tessar label on the lens, it should be able to make decent photo's right? Wrong.
  3. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Isn't that just the Nokia pure view with eos written on it?
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Quite. Zeiss and EOS branding together? Sony might complain....
  5. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I had a Lumia 920 for a while. Very nice phone, but I found it a little big to be pocketable. It made a great point-and-shoot replacement, missing only optical zoom. I don't know if we should hold much hope for something like an LX7 or XZ-2 being built into phones any time soon, though something like that or a Pentax Q phone would be fun.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Well, there's always PhotoJojo if you want to mount EOS or Nikkor lenses to your iPhone....

The Photojojo Store!

(as well as having 'viewfinders', shutter grips and various add-on's an amusing store to sniff around in...)
  7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Presumably. I would've thought they'd just continue to push that brand, this muddies the water somewhat.
  8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    If this isn't Canon sanctioned, prepare for a decade long trademark dispute.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Yeah, I don't get the reasoning behind the use of the EOS name. Surely Canon will not just let that slide, particularly considering they're using an identical font (at least in the mock ups that have been released). While Nokia's "Pure View" technology is interesting, the whole "41 megapixel" thing is a little misleading as it's best use is just as a sort of digital zoom. I actually prefer the way that HTC has gone in abandoning the "megapixel war" and using sensors with fewer, but larger pixels. I don't love HTC's "ultrapixel" branding, but they had to do something to rebrand the bold strategy.

I just don't see how this EOS phone becomes a money maker for Nokia with all of the mouths they have to feed between Microsoft (for the OS), Zeiss (for the lens) and inevitably Canon (for the brand).
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    It is interesting though, a lot of the research they're doing into getting more and more out of these small sensors could one day end up making larger sensors better. I wonder what a 128 megapixel 4/3 sensor that oversampled to create an effective 16mp image would be like?

12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

13. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    Oh yeah a lot of the older symbian camera phones had a blue tint to their pictures and annoying internal post processing