1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nokia Camera Phone - 41MP, Carl Zeiss

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ksn, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It is interesting. It's hard to get around the MP thing. They're saying it's a 41MP sensor, then they say it takes a maximum 38MP resolution, then they tell us they use that to create a final 5MP image. That produces better clarity, and also allows you to use up to 3x zoom without any degradation. I'd take that sort of 5MP camera phone over an 8MP iPhone any day...

3. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
  4. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
  5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    It will probably sell fairly well in Europe.

6. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I for one would get it.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I don't expect my camera to make phone calls and I think people taking photos with their telephone look like tools...... but this thing looks great. Sign me up!

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I understand the advantage of having these things in a device you "always have with you", but as a photographer I would never use the photos I take out of the cellphone for anything... except maybe for showing something in picture text, in which case quality is largely irrelevant.

However, what I DO want my phone to do for me is to be able to handle like a PDA and Netbook. I rely heavily on my phone for calendar scheduling, keeping notes, sending reports out on the internet, browsing information on the internet, etc. It's nothing these days for me to carry an E-PM1 Mini with a small lens attached, but it's a whole different story to be carrying a small laptop around... :)

Likewise, I'm sure there are people who carry a tablet like I carry my Mini, so for them the computer part of the phone is not so necessary.

It's also kind of nice that my phone can replace an mp3 player. Just bring headphones. ;)

All different needs for different people. I'm a Blackberry guy myself, because I use my phone for important text-based tasks. Camera and other media capabilities are unimportant to me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Kind of a super EXR approach. Could have potential. I'm personally satisfied with my iphone for that camera I "always have with me" and I doubt I'd be satisfied with this Nokia as more than that, so I don't see myself going there no matter how good it turns out to be. But always nice to see new tech, some of which will stick and some of which won't.

-Ray

10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I would love to get ahold of this. The camera in my Droid 2 is heinous and slow, and sometimes I bring an iPhone around just for the camera. I used an iPhone pic for the first time yesterday in my 366 Project - I was in the dentist's office and wanted to get a quick shot of the overhead lamp they used (these things always fascinated me). I was able to quickly take the phone out of my pocket and silently shoot it without having to worry about which lens was on my GF1 (or where the GF1 even was while I was in the dentist's chair), which settings to use, and whether or not the mechanical shutter noise was going to draw attention. The results were somewhat unexpected (color distortion in the flouro), but I ended up liking the photo more than anything else I shot w/ the GF1 that day, so this image won. There is absolutely something to be said about having a good quality camera in your phone.

Attached Files:

11. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I"m all for having a good camera phone. There are simply many reason why it's nice to have a camera with you at all times. ie Capturing an unexpected candid moment etc.

That being said, I"m personally not very impressed by the initial images, poor resolution and a lot of blurring. Need a side by side comparison but I think the camera in the iPHone 4 (not S) has nicer IQ. The file size off that monster must be huge! Not exactly good for a tablet or Phone memory.

That being said, I would personally rather see a tech approach to deal with High ISO of camera phones as they are horrific in low to dim light.

As for me, guess I just don't see it being that revoluntary in terms of phone camera except as a marketing tool to reinvigorate Nokia and claw back some said for Apple and Samsung.

Wonder what Apple is doing these days as the iPhone is actually start to show it's age a wee bit.. we all know what Blackberry at least have been busy doing with BBX/BB10..

12. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Where did you see the poor resolution off that camera?

I would seriously get this phone instead of say a pocketable camera like the Canon S100. True the Canon is the Canon, but I can't carry a camera and a phone, so I'd rather go with this kind of phones that produce great pictures.

Also, yes, the full resolution images are huge (9-13Mb), but the default is to produce a perfect 5mpx (or 8mpx) image.
    A 5Mpx image off a 41Mpx resolution sensor is more than enough from every phone/pocket camera.

True that for this particular phone you'd need to switch to Symbian, but this "PureView" technology is supposed to come to WP7 phones from Nokia as well (I guess they need to write WP7 drivers for the new chip they developed to help the CPU crunch those numbers).

Having used an N8 as a pocket camera replacement, I truly welcome this new "technology" from Nokia.

13. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't understand why they don't let you get a 41MP image out of it. If 8MP is the max derived from 41MP, why didn't they make this into a light field camera. If they had done that, then it would really have been something unique.

14. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Canon S100 .. well.. ever try and take a movie with a camera phone - not exactly pleasant experience and I'm not even a movie kind of person. Couple in optical zoom (3-5x), image stablization and phones are still a few gen's away from replacing compact cameras such as the S100.

15. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Lytro's approach to Lightfield is a proprietary software process. The sell on Lytro isn't the end-image (which could be a static JPG) but rather the storage and manipulation of the focus points on Lytro's own servers as "living media."

For myself, the approach to establishing parity with decent (note the conditional) compact cameras or better is the preferred path I'd like other manufacturers to take. Besides, Lytro hasn't been able to prove itself yet (still pending March initial release - maybe) in two areas - high ISO/low-light and action-freezing. Better the sensor and imaging technology you know...

If Ng and his guys couldn't shrink LF into any footprint smaller than the 4" long camera they've got now (and they were instrumental to LF becoming consumerized) - what chance would Nokia have had to one-up the guys who came up with it in the first place? :smile:

At a calculated 17MB per photo on the Nokia, you've chewed up about 1GB of storage on the phone for 60 photos. Think about how many photos people take *and* leave on their phones - yep, the average is about at least 100, possibly more depending upon how much people use and love their phone. The typical photographer isn't using the phone the way an average cellphone owner is. We at least have a workflow and file management system to download, store and archive. Those photos will stay there *forever.*

Now think about getting that 1GB into "the Cloud" whether it's e-mails (I can't think of any average provider or free webmail who even approaches 20MB singular attachments allowed), or social networking or the web. Hence the downsize neccessity.

Has anyone considered the fact that the phone's display is the biggest problem - it's a paltry 360x640 or so - you can't even *appreciate* the 41MP until you've offloaded it somewhere. :eek:

My biggest gripe - who the heck uses SYMBIAN in the US? No one. :biggrin: They'd better get this thing to Android or worst case - Windows Phone - right quick!

16. lilianadominic

lilianadominic New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2012
    what is the best phone?

I have been using nokia phone since then but there's a lot coming new phone and more upgraded. nokia phones easy to change there model but the amount of the phone that I just purchase down in discounts it seems unfair. I bought it in expensive but suddenly there's new phone again the cost of my phone will bargain. omg!

17. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    There's no reason it needs to sit on servers. I remember light field cameras from back in the day at Stanford. Back then, the PI of the lab where the guy who started Lytro was a graduate student, said that around 20MP it would be feasible to build P&S light field cameras with a 5MP final resolution. There's actually nothing magical about a light field camera. It's actually a very simple concept. With advances in microprism sensors, like what Sony has done, it should be fairly simple to build small light field cameras.

I think it would be a far more consumer appealing product than what they've currently done. The vast majority of people who take pictures, especially with a cell phone, don't really care that much how it looks as long as it looks decent. If they did, they wouldn't be using a cell phone as their camera. Even a 2 year old cell phone has quality good enough for most cell phone photographers. It's the VHS effect. VHS had horrible IQ versus beta but did people care? Nope. What people do care about is trying to grab that special moment and the image being totally out of focus. Can't go back and take it again, the moment has passed. A light field camera would address that.

As for memory. 16GB micro sd cards are cheap. Dirt cheap. I got my last few for $8/each. I don't think that's a limiter anymore.

18. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
  19. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    What I'm excited about is the HTC One X with its f/2.0 8mp camera. Now with cellphones having bright lenses, will we ever see people carrying p&s anymore?

20. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, other than things like an optical zoom. The same reason why people use CSCs instead of P&S cameras. Sensor size. The sensor size of a cell phone is 1/3.2". Most P&S cameras are 1/2.5". The uber P&S cameras are like 1/1.6" or 1/1.7". It's easy to have a bright lens on a tiny sensor since the sensor is so tiny, the lens is too.