Nokia 808 PureView beats E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by e_kjellgren, Aug 28, 2012.

1. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    yes the Nokia phone looks providing better result though it's not a fair comparison in many ways. but I have to ask what does it take for a phone to deliver that quality that our cameras don't have?
  3. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The part that surprised me is the second crop, the parts behind the curtain.
    For colour, likes the Nokia more, but it can be tweaked in PP.
  4. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    I looked at the crops and chose "F", which IMHO is the best image.
  5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012 takes 38 megapixels and a bunch of software interpolation algorithms...
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I saw those pics and another review at dpreview. This is utter nonsense actually . I have no idea how much Nokia has paid them to write such review . There is no way Nokia's tiny sensor ridden with pixels can outperfrom EPL2 which is quite decent MFT camera .
  7. Razor777

Razor777 New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    Hampshire (UK)
    It does not seem to make much sense if they voted that way, the Nokia pictures are fuzzy to say the least with less clarity than most of the others.

Most of these tests are complete junk anyway as none of the pictures are displayed in native resolution and with re-sizing you lose the original processing performance of the camera engine.
  8. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The reality of common people preference to snap a picture with mobile phone or tablet camera. While we know it's still bellow the quality of real interchangeable lens camera, but for most people it's quite allright. It may well become what mp3 does to CD format in music industry. The vinyl still exist but for common people the mp3 is quite allright
  9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    I remember seeing this a while back and blind picking the e-pl2 then nokia in every comparison.

Mostly it just proves that the majority of the public don't know what you can and can't fix in a second on a photo, so they pick the strongest contrast rather than sharpest photo.

I'm still very impressed with the nokia for a phone camera though, when they bring out an android version it will be my next phone for the times I'm not carrying my Oly.
  10. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    I would take snapshots with the 808. Hell yes I would be impressed. If I wanted to compose a good photo - choose the right lens, change the aperture, shoot in raw, shoot in brackets, etc - I would use something like the e-pl2. And for that purpose I would still choose the e-pl2 even if the 808 had better IQ. I'm pretty sure though the day will come soon enough when the line gets blurred again: a mobile phone with interchangeable lenses ! :)
  11. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    I picked the 808 as it seemed marginally sharper to my eye. But if I wanted a camera with a fixed focus lens, I wouldn' have bought a m4/3 camera.
  12. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    When I looked, I preferred the F shot in all but one of the crops, where I preferred the E shot over the F in just that one. Overall, I would have ranked F first by a good margin, followed by E....which means I would have picked the E-PL2 by a good margin over the 808, though I had the 808 second.

I have to say...everything I've seen out of the 808 looks really good. It's not a small's actually pretty large (about the size of the Nikon 1 if I remember), and they're subsampling algorithms are good. Dynamic range is limited, but overall detail and noise control are outstanding.
  13. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Just from their sample, I like the 808 most but because it looks the most neutral. It's not that sharp, but also less artifact.
    Funny thing is that it seems the three sample at left biased to cool wb while the right sample warm.

Interchangeable lens phone camera:
    Pentax Q lens size at most, and even that would be challenging.

HTC did a survey previously if smartphone users prefer thin "pocketable" phone or bigger battery (more time for fiddling with game and Facebook). Result, the survey sample choose sexy thin rather than battery life.