1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Noisy Video from EM5... Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by BarefootPilgrim, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I'm new to shooting / editing video, so please forgive what may be a stupid question....

I'm getting a lot of video noise when I shoot with my EM5, and am wondering if that's normal for the camera or if there's something else going on. It's most noticeable after editing, but it's definitely there in the .MOV files that come straight from the camera. I've attached a sample where you'll find it especially noticeable in the trees at upper right. But it's really everywhere in the shoot. It's even worse in this sample, since YouTube has mangled the file in the transcoding, but if you'd like to view the direct camera output, there's a link to a copy on my GoogleDrive, here.... Noisy Video - 2016_0924_A9249447_EM5 copy-25sec.mov

Thanks for any help / thoughts / suggestions. Oh... the EM5 is set to record NTSC and Movie Quality = Full HD F. And here's the sample on YouTube....

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, what ISO was used?

On my iPad, I can't tell how much of it is encoding artifacts vs noise.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BarefootPilgrim

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Thanks for looking, Barry. ISO was 400. I wondered about encoding artifacts, too. But the file directly out of camera has the same stuff. And I wouldn't expect a video at ISO 400 to have that much noise. My stills from the same camera don't show that much noise even at ISO 1200.

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    It's almost certainly the encoding.. The EM5 bitrate is 20 MB/s (variable, can drop lower). Which is low. For comparison, the GH4 can record at up to 200MB/s. Same 1080 HD resolution in theory, but the amount of information you're getting per frame is 10 times greater.

So what this means, is that if you have a busy frame, with a lot of foliage and grass and details on the edges, plus a moving subject in the middle, it's just a lot of information getting compressed down to 20MB/s. And as you noticed it's even worse on youtube, as their 1080/HD bitrate is around 8Mb/s.

Not much to be done without upgrading the camera.

Edit to add:

If you skip to around 6:15 there's a video comparison of some different bitrates. You can see most clearly if you view it in 4K, even if you don't have a 4K screen, it increases the YouTube bitrate.

Adding to the problem, not all 20Mb/s is created equal, different encoding/processing algorithms might give different results at a similar bitrate. Olympus (or at least older Olympus) were not really known for video prowess. (speculation on my part, I don't know the details of their codecs)

All that said I'm definitely not an expert, so it could be that something else is at play.

Edit again:
    This is also helpful.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    agree with Nathanael

suspect its limits of the not very good codec in the e-m5

nothing to do with ISO

K

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. BarefootPilgrim

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    That was super-helpful, Nathanael! :bravo-009: Thanks for such a clear and understandable explanation of what's happening. :bowdown: