Noisy GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Biker, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Biker

Biker New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011

I've just bought a new GF1 (with 14-45 lens) and am concerned by the noise made by the camera.

It's a sort of uneven hiss, slightly louder when the ois is switched on. Changing the focus mode or program does not make any difference.

Please could someone let me know if this is normal or if I might have a problem.
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Is the noise coming from the camera or the lens?
  3. magicianhisoka

magicianhisoka Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    i think thats the sound that lets you know that the stabilizer is working.
  4. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Maybe you could try using other lens. If the noise went away, then the problem is in your 14-45mm lens and not on the GF1 body.
  5. Biker

Biker New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    Thanks, you're right, I should have tried without the lens.

Yes, the noise is coming from the lens only, but not only with the ois switched on and off, but also with the lens cap on (I assume therefore no focus activity).

So, is this normal, or might there be a problem with the lens?
  6. Flagg

Flagg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Apeldoorn, Netherlands
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you use mode 1 stablisation the lens is constantly stabilizing. If you select mode 2 it only stabilizes when you make the picture.

Try the different modes, i suppose the sound must be gone at mode 2 if it's coming from the O.I.S, but I'm not sure.

Either way I also hear a slight his with the 45-200, but it didn't sound loud enough for me to get worried.
  7. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Check your Pre-AF settings in the custom menu. C-AF is constant focusing, Q-AF focuses when the camera is steady. For still photos I set it to off and depend on a half press for focus, video to C-AF, and Q-AF when hiking.

Q-AF and C-AF eat battery life.
  8. noise

Very faint noise from the 14-45mm. Need to have the ear next to the lens in a quiet room. The 45-200mm has noticeable noise. The 1st 45-200mm was really noisy. Sound was not constant even when not focus searching. Would change in pitch and volume when tilting the lens around. It was considered a defective lens. Maybe your 14-45mm is suffering a similar issue?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    My GF1 is near silent. I suggest you take it back to the dealer.
  10. Biker

Biker New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    Thanks for all your comments.

It turned out that there was indeed a fault with the lens - and I had to return both the body and the lens because they were sold together as a kit which, unfortunately, is now discontinued. In fact I had bought what may have been the very last one (in a national chain of stores), and at a bargain price as well.

Really disappointing, especially in view of the many positive comments about the GF1 on this forum.

So, next question: I am really attracted to the Micro 4/3 format, so may I please have recommendations as to what might be a sensible alternative. I had a look at the GF2 but didn't like it because the side of my thumb kept engaging the controls at the back, and it would be around twice the price I paid for the GF1. The G2 seems a bit chunky, but it's affordable. Might this one be a sensible alternative?
  11. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    have you looked at the G3?
  12. Biker

Biker New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    It's a price issue: The G3 is £629 and the G2 is £379. The reviews tell me that the picture quality from the G2 is about the same as from the GF1 (although its kit 14-42 is not quite as good as the GF1's 14-45) and I'd rather put the difference towards the 20mm prime.
  13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    fair enough.
  14. G2! Unless compact size is #1 on the list of a "perfect" camera. If you attach the LVF-1 to the GF-1 it's about as "chunky" as the G2. The G2 has become my primary camera body. GF-1 body has become the backup & lower light with the 20mm "street" camera. Swiveling + brighter lcd & higher resolution evf are nice G2 features. Last I checked Amazon (USA) has reduced the price of a body to ~$300.
  15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    It may be worth asking the dealer to exchange just the lens and you keep the body (get a refund for the lens if poss and look for a used 14-45).

The GF1 is a superb camera and very popular amongst many pros / enthusiasts in the UK and Grant Scott used his to shoot some images that were published in Vogue last year.

I love my GF1 and use it when I do not want to lug my DSLR+lenses about, I have no interest in the "Dumbed down GF2/GF3" and will hold onto it until Panasonic launch the next direct GF1 replacement as promised.
  16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Why'd you do that? If you got it at a bargain price, why not keep it? If you just got it, then it's under warranty. Have Panasonic fix or replace the lens. Problem solved.
  17. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    The GF2 is a dumbed down GF1 and I understand, possibly mistakenly, that the kit lens is not as good either. I have always liked the Olympus products, but at the time, the GF1 was much superior in many respects, except for the EVF.

The write-ups on the new micro 4/3's Oly's EP's are very impressive and look to be better than even the GF1 as far as focus speed and noise are concerned. Take a look at the DP review site for it's tests. The EP-3 blows almost everything away showing little noise even at ISO 12,000. It also has, like the GF1, most of the frequently used functions available on honest to God buttons rather than on a touch screen like the GF2. If I were starting out in the micro 4/3's scene today, that is what I would probably get. I do recommend that whether you buy a Lumix or an Oly 4/3's, do buy the accessory EVF.
    It is indispensable.
  18. junaluska

junaluska New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2011
    I love my Gf1. Wish the EVF was better.
  19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    If I was on a budget and had to buy a :43: camera today, I'd buy a G2 like I did.

It's abargain at these price points. and very good IQ and all the other things that are usefull on a camera.
  20. Biker

Biker New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    Thanks for all your comments. Been on holiday and enjoyed using the GF1 with the 20mm 1.7.

However, I would still appreciate your views on this: Given the choice between the G2 (with the 14-42) and the GF1 (with the 14-45), which I am assuming I can have fixed, which should I go for?

The GF1 seems to have accumulated a lot of enthusiastic commentary, more so than the G2, but the G2, with its touch screen and EVF, appears to do more and offer more control.

I've heard that the 14-42 enables closer close-ups as compared to the 14-45; is this significant or just marginal?